Z6 into a OBD2B

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

All Show

I want to install a Z6 motor and tranny into my 99 DX and was wondering what sort of problem I may have with this. Yes yes I know that I could do a mini me swap but it is way too expencive. By the time I buy a knock sensor, tranny, IM, head, solenoid, a P2P ecu and a upper engine gasket kit I am looking at big bucks. Plus the Z6 is better for a turbo set up so don't try to convince me on doing the mini me swap please.

I know that I will have to buy a conversion harness for my P28 but besides that what else will I need. Is the axles and motor mounts from my Y7 the same as the ones need for the Z6? What about the tranny mounts?

And what about the wiring. I plan on using the Y7 engine harness but I am get the Z6 harness as well. What sort of issue will i run into using a Y7 engine harness on a Z6 engine. I know that there is 2 wire IAC's and 3 wire IAC's. My harness is 3 wire, is the Z6 the same? And the O2 sensor, I know the Z6 only has one but is it a 2 wire or 4 wire? And of couse I will need to run a few wires of the vtec. Is there anything else that I am missing here?

I would really like to talk to someone who has done this swap. I have never done a swap before and thought this would be a good one to wet my feet with. I have a few guys that said they would help me but they have limited experience too and I would like to know what sort of problems I may experience before I start.

Thanks, All Show

well i for one use the correct harness to save your self the wiring issues and also the y7 is not vtec you should honestly look for a y8 swap i got my y8 engine and ecu for 400 you could probaly get it for about the same.... Also i would do with the s20 trans out of a delsol for the better ratios

What is the problem with the crank sensor?

I decided to use the Y7 harness because I had read some where that I could not use the Z6 harness because the the Z6 harness plugs into the chase harness that the chase harness plugs into the ECU. This may not be true but is something that I have read. I just bought the Z6 and got a good deal, it was $550 (CND) for the motor, tranny, ECU (P28) and engine harness. The Y8 would be good but they are more expensive, have higher compression and plus I will using a Hondata. I think the Z6 is a bit better for a turbo set up that the Y8. The S20 tranny, what is the final drive? The tranny that I got P20/B000 with a final drive of 4.250. Is the Del Sol tranny better?

run the z6 head with a y8 intake manifold on your y7 block. use your stock wiring harness, but you have to add wires for vtec.

The Z6 is an OBD1 engine. It is going to be a bitch. instead, get the d16y8. Your going to have a wiring nightmare, plus the swap is illegal if your in a smog testing state. The y8 will be less wiring, give better performance (the intake mainfold is superior) and, will be a legal swap.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Oct 5 2003, 09:50 PM
The Z6 is an OBD1 engine. It is going to be a bitch. instead, get the d16y8. Your going to have a wiring nightmare, plus the swap is illegal if your in a smog testing state. The y8 will be less wiring, give better performance (the intake mainfold is superior) and, will be a legal swap.

:werd: this is much simpler, but if your not in a smog state and you already have a z6 motor you can just do what i said.

Back