z6 swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bigdaddyIII

ok folks. please dont post if youre going to try to talk me out of it. i just need a little help. i found a z6 for a few hundred, and im thinkin about gettin it. now, can i use my 92 d15 tranny, or what? also, which ecu do i need? any details i need to know? for the haters, the d15 is gettin ready to die, and i want a little more zip without sacrificing mileage. im not at the track, so there.

yeah dude you can use the tranny, but it's not gonna help you go any faster- check this specs over in the tech section to be certain, but i'm almost sure the trans on the d15 had gear ratios for fuel economy and not for acceleration- but yeah it will bolt up dude- i would use the p28 ecu for the d16z6 since it's the ECU for that motor and already has vtec built in- I actually have one laying around if you do end up going through with the swap let me know if you want it

get the entire engine / tranny / ecu / harness if you can

your 92 is pre wired for VTEC so you will be able to simply plug the D16Z6 harness into your car and be done with the wiring

be sure to change all the usual shit before installing it (timing belt, water pump etc) might even be a good time to replace the front and rear main seals just incase

the D16Z6 engine and tranny are good for 30 miles per gallon around town and 40 miles per gallon on the highway when driven easily (thats what i use to get consistantly... only mod i did was remove the resonator from the air box and a K&N drop in filter)

Its a good easy swap, mounts are the same, tranny will mount up, etc.... Here's what I'd do. Definatelly check the bottom end when you get it..... They are notorious for bottom end noises.... Replace the front and rear main, water pump, timing belt, and all fluids(duh). Get a new front mount also. I would get a better clutch at the time also....

Back