z6 swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Zero2sixtyin3

89 EF Hatch D15B2 w/ 5spd
ok well i ahve been looking up swapping a z6 into my car, was going to do a minime but i think a z6 turbo would be more worth the money.

so heres my question, does the z6 motor seriously just drop in with no problems into the ef chassis?

i have read that all d series do and then that the driver side mount doesnt line up right with the z6...

and also i am wondering if i used my y8 block i got laying in my garage with a z6 head, would it basically be the equivalent of a z6 motor? and would using it affect the mounting into my ef?

i dont see why it wouldnt work but i dont feel like doing it and wasting time when i know someone has done this or at least knows if it will work.

to use either a z6 or y8 block you just need to swap over your stock engines post mount. (the part with the studs in it) and then your stock chassis mount will bolt up no problem.

a y8/z6 would be very similar to a z6 just with slightly higher compression. i just dont recommend people do builds with y-series bottom ends due to how common they seem to spin rod bearings. the z6 block has 2 oiling ports per rod where as the y8 has 1.

thanks for the info, i know everyone says to search, i do everytime before i post. but it is sometimes more of a hear from someone who has done it as opposed to reading a general sticky thread with basic info.

but thanks that is good to know. i guess i will just sell the y8 motor then. doesnt sound like it would be as durable for the power i plan to produce.

Back