ZC Confusion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

aLLmOtOr

Hey I was confused about the ZC motors. I want to start a CRX project and I was looking to get a ZC, but what Ive been reading about is that theres alot of variation in the ZC motors. Now the motors from the 88-89 Integra's, are they 130hp or 112hp? Is the only ZC motor that has 130 HP is from the JDM motor? Im sorry if this question been asked already. I just want to get my shit straight. Or should I just scarp the ZC motor and spend a little more on a B18A swap. What do you guys think? :roll:

get the B18A my bro has a ZC there close but my car is deffinatly faster and the B18 has more potential, you might just wanna ad a vtec head down the road :D

:werd: But go with a b18b. I've heard they're much better engines. Also, if you want to upgrade you can always go LS/VTEC with that setup pretty easily. ZC doesn't have much potential compared to B series engines.

i got a b18a i am willing to sell if you want to make an offer, bseries motors definately have alot of potential and b18 happens to be good for turbo or all motor, your choice

deff go with a b18 over a zc. my friend got smoked by a stock neon sohc in his zc. but there are parts for the zc engine. but the b series has more potential.

Originally posted by aLLmOtOr@May 6 2004, 05:09 PM
Hey I was confused about the ZC motors. I want to start a CRX project and I was looking to get a ZC, but what Ive been reading about is that theres alot of variation in the ZC motors. Now the motors from the 88-89 Integra's, are they 130hp or 112hp? Is the only ZC motor that has 130 HP is from the JDM motor? Im sorry if this question been asked already. I just want to get my shit straight. Or should I just scarp the ZC motor and spend a little more on a B18A swap. What do you guys think? :roll:

Go with a B if you can afford it. The ZC is still much cheaper, but it's a lot older, has less aftermarket support, and has less ultimate potential. It does make for a pretty fun little Civic though, especially in a 4th gen chassis.

The "ZC" name was given to the highest performing of each type of D series engine in the Japanese market. From 88-91, there was the DOHC ZC that put out about 130hp (118hp ish for olive top or something), and the SOHC ZC that put out about 120hp. There was supposedly a SOHC VTEC ZC from 92-95 that's the same as our USDM D16Z6 (92-95 EX, Si), but I've never seen one in person. The ZC does not exist in any market but the JDM. The only way an engine is truly a ZC is if it has "ZC" stamped on the block casting. Don't anyone else tell you otherwise.

the civic ZC is 130HP.....BlackTop. dont get these confused with the G1 Integra 86-87 113HP(Brown Top) 88-89 118HP (Black Top) D16A1. The G1 Integra also had the ZC in Japan and NZ.....they came in Brown and Black top as well. You can tell the difference by how the valve cover mounts and how the engine and trannies mount.

Originally posted by erebunicrx@May 7 2004, 10:03 AM
deff go with a b18 over a zc. my friend got smoked by a stock neon sohc in his zc. but there are parts for the zc engine. but the b series has more potential.

neons are dohc , but they are still neons

If you are still thinking about going with the ZC check out www.thezcr.com Great information there. Im putting a DOHC ZC into my 91 CRX at the moment. For the cost diffrence between a ZC and a b18 you might beable to put a turbo kit together. That is what i plan on doing that is really the only way the ZC is worth it is if you are going to turbo it. 130 hp from a D series engine is pretty damn good if you ask me. Just my .02 cents. Either way best of luck to you.

anyone who gets smoked by a neon and they are driveing a ZC powed civic is either a bad driver or they have a beat ZC. There is no excuse for such an atrocity. You have to realize the D series honda engine is very strong and it built properly can yeild a very nice power band.

Yes that's true... but almost any "new" DOHC ZC is pretty beat these days, considering how old they all are.

the dohc ZC is a bolt in affair for the 88-91 hatch...

if you have an 85 crx what you want to get is the 86-87 brown top D16A1 dohc integra motor...
the 88-89 black top has 118 horses compared to the 86-87's 113, but if you get the black top you will need to change the distrubutor and such things

86-87 junkyard integra is the best bet... it would help to get the whole car

you will need the integra spindles, discs, calipers, axles, tranny, motor, ecu, and mixed mounts between the crx and the integra...

shift linkage is also helpful but not necessary...
your shifter will sit further back, so first gear would be where 2nd used to be and 2nd will be back even further
takes some getting used to but its not that bad...

you will be pretty happy with this swap and you won't be dumping a lot of money into a car thats that old...
check the forums... either refrence section or articles section for the first gen crx FAQ... it has a little more detail...

and PM me with any questions or search for my pics in the gallery to see what it will look like
good luck

I have a SOHC ZC in a 4th gen Si..and i do pretty well.. i can hang with most b16's off the line cause of all the torque.. its a nice setup.. and it was dirt cheap.. :D

yeah i would go with the b-series. they are also a little more durable, i was originally going with a DOHC ZC, but a B16 sell into my lap, and i am much happier, with it, and umm there are more SOHC Neons than DOHC neons
pic60.jpg

Back