zc crx, for 1000 bucks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sleepyzze110

i'm a newbie when it comes to zc motors, but not a complete n00b to hondas..i've been lookin around for a crx or 92-95 eh2/3, but turns out my friend is selling a 1989 crx SI with a dohc zc swap from a 91 prelude in it, i'm not sure what tranny he's using, but i think it's d series tranny since i heard it bolts up to the zc motor, i know this motor puts about 130ish to the crank, and that's fine with me, i'm gonna use this as daily driver, and no need to hit 11's..reliability is more of a factor for me, since i need this to get to school and back every day

now down the important stuff
-does this motor have same/more potential than a b series? i was eventually gonna go lsvtec on any crx/civic i found

-i heard b20 blocks/gsr head make good numbers, but then again, b20's have thin cylinder walls..would this be ok for daily? i dont want a piston flying out the side of my fender..=P

-he has 70k on engine, should i rebuild it? i'm sure he hits redline once in a while.. he's the "let's race" type of guy..

-he's selling it to me for $1100, primered black 89 crx SI, sunroof works, body is rust/dent free except a small dent in the rear wheel well, barely noticeable until he pointed it out..GSR leather seats with a bit of cracking in it, GSR fat five's on 70% tire left, dropped on no-name coilovers, and he's giving me (2) ITR cam/camshafts for free..but i'm gonna just sell these..

WHAT IS THIS MOTOR CAPABLE OF?

edit: this is a JDM dohc zc, and i'm in Cali, the mac daddy state of civic hating..he said this car will not pass smog, anything i can do to pass it or even stay away from gettin caught?

i have no clue, that's waht he told me unless he's BSing..but i'll ask him again, he said 91 lude..or that's what i thought i heard..

i think he is, 91 si ludes have like a 2.0 b series right? i think you can get zc's in 91 rex's in jdm though.

:blink: no, the zc motor did not come in any year preludes, he's full of shit...the zc is a d series engine, so no ls/vtec....70k on a honda is nothing, they don't get broken in until 200k!!! i'm in cali also, no there is no way of getting that car to pass smog with that motor...most swaps you can take to the referee and get a bar sticker legalizing the swap, but you can't do that with the zc motors, the smog shit is totally different...

It is near impossible to get a DOHC ZC smoged in california, and SOHC ZC on the other hand is rather easy as long as it is an Si model. Most guys at your local smog shop are not going to look at the block code to see if the thing is a D16a6 or ZC, they are just going to glance at the motor and put it on the sniffer/dyno.

Originally posted by sleepyzze110@Sep 23 2004, 09:51 PM
-i heard b20 blocks/gsr head make good numbers, but then again, b20's have thin cylinder walls..would this be ok for daily? i dont want a piston flying out the side of my fender..=P
[post=394147]Quoted post[/post]​

They're not made of glass. A B20 will hold up just fine to daily driving. Just put it together correctly and don't cut any corners.

Back