zc or mini me?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dreded90crxsi

I have a 90 crx si and wanna swap something cheap for right now that will give me some power gains. I was wondering what everyone here thinks is a better choice for me to go with. If I do the zc swap I'm sure it's gonna cost me more. If I do the mini me swap I'll be doing things right by converting to obd1. I've read many articles about both swaps and from what I've herd the zc handles high rpm's better, but the mini me makes more power to the wheels. I'm planing on doing one of these swaps next month as long as I don't spend my money on another tatoo or go to the titty club again.

i think your gonna find that after gathering the parts for the mini-me swap and coverting it to grey plug (obd 1), that the zc long block using your trans will be easier and more cost effective

I plan on going race only with my crx in the future (probably about a year from now) and when I do that I'm gonna be swaping in an f22b1 and running an obd1 ecu then so doing the conversion and wiring up vtec now will probably make things easier when I do that. Either way I will be doing the obd1 switch at some point. I'm just wondering what swap should make me happier as far as performance goes. No matter which swap I go with for now it'll only be temporary. Thanks for your reply.

get the zc.

you're going to LOVE the gearing on that tranny.....provided you get the zc tranny instead of the si one.

Get the ZC ecu as well.

if I remember correctly....i think it raised my redline to 8500 :D

Even if I swap to the zc I will still be using my si transmission. Like I said which ever one of these swaps I do it will only be temporary. If I get the zc though I will deffinatly get the ecu for it. I wanna make sure I have the correct fuel maps when I do a swap and I've herd too many horror stories of chiped ecu's to go that route.

To this day, the fastest Honda I've driven was a ZC swap with ZC trans.

The minime, I think, is cheaper to get. But I still have routes to go looking for a Z6 head without paying the "Trendy Tax".

-> Steve

ZC it up man. That way if you get another crx or somthing you can always drop that in and boost it pretty easily. Im biased though im putting a ZC in with the ZC tranny. :ph34r: Its gonna be great :) I have a question for you. This isnt to rip on you because the only thing i know about are zc's and alittle bit about the b16. But why are you choosing the f22 over an h22? Agian not to rip on you just to learn somthin new. Alrighty everyone have a great day.

Jeramy

F22 = cheap, and it's trendy now because of Bisi Ezeroiha. It's still a very easy engine to build.

You can wire up a mini-me without converting to OBD1. Just use the old Si sensors and wire up VTEC, and everything else is pretty easy. Use something like a VAFC or Ghettodyne to tune.

I getcha. I knew it must have been somthing like that. What i mean is somone must have made a f22 fast or somthing like that. Any one know where i can look at Ezeroiha's setup? Im just curious. also if you have any other zc type questions id go over to thezcr.com Have a great day.

Jeramy

I plan on going with an f22 instead of an h22 because of the closed deck design and I like the idea of a fast sohc. I plan to turbo the f22 also. I've herd that when using the zc tranny you have to change the axles or something like that. Plus I like the mpg I'm getting right now with my si tranny. Since I removed my catalytic converter I got 35mpg on my last tank. I'm not sure if it's just dumb luck getting 35 in the city but I'll know after I fill up again.

Originally posted by dreded90crxsi@Apr 21 2004, 07:03 PM
I plan on going with an f22 instead of an h22 because of the closed deck design and I like the idea of a fast sohc. I plan to turbo the f22 also. I've herd that when using the zc tranny you have to change the axles or something like that. Plus I like the mpg I'm getting right now with my si tranny. Since I removed my catalytic converter I got 35mpg on my last tank. I'm not sure if it's just dumb luck getting 35 in the city but I'll know after I fill up again.

Maybe your cat was just clogged. Lots of CRX Si guys get 35mpg. Drop in a new high flow catalytic converter and do us all a favor.

:thumbsup:

On the transmission- you're going to have to change out the axles regardless- and an F/H series transmission isn't going to just bolt in and use your stock axles. If you swap to the ZC, you can use your stock Si transmission/axles and save a bit of money.

the thing with the axles that I was talking about was with the zc tranny. I know my d series tranny will bolt up to a zc and will not bolt up to any f or h series.

umm..... quick idea, why dont you just keep the $$ saved up so you can go with the full race setup sooner.

i just swapped a mini me a6/z6 in my hf and its holy fuck faster. The total was about 600 with it rebuilt and with the vafc. I got the block n head for 90 bucks. Its pretty peppy and wiring was easy. screams at 7k ... but if i was u i would go with the ZC... just a better engine IMO

Originally posted by dreded90crxsi@Apr 24 2004, 11:25 PM
the thing with the axles that I was talking about was with the zc tranny. I know my d series tranny will bolt up to a zc and will not bolt up to any f or h series.

Ah. Yes, with the ZC transmission you're going to have to change the axles. Your stock D series transmission uses two unequal length axles- the ZC transmission uses an intermediate shaft and two equal length axles like a B series transmission. No other D series transmission does this. You'll still have to run DX or Si hubs.

The closest axle that fits the ZC transmission to your stock DX or Si hubs are the 90-93 Integra axles. You may have to modify the hubs (remove a dust shield or something) to get the axles to fit in, but they should work.

you should definitly go with the mini me. cuz everyones saying to go with the dohc you know you got to get the sohc plus its alot cheaper. well thats what i decided to do. and if i ever see any of you dohc s ridin up to me not only will i kill you but ill be wavin the money i saved out of my window.

i went with the ZC and im really happy with it... it has loads of torque off the line... just go with whatever you think best suits YOU...

Originally posted by dreded90crxsi@Apr 21 2004, 07:03 PM
I plan on going with an f22 instead of an h22 because of the closed deck design and I like the idea of a fast sohc. I plan to turbo the f22 also.

i believe the obd1 h22's have a closed deck. dohc will help u out in the long run.

o ya.. and go ZC not mini-who

Back