ZC questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

daemonkron

Im new to the Honda world, and I love the 91 CRX Si, and one of my friends told me about the ZC motor. Until that point I had never heard of it, I also know that aftermarket products for the engine are scarce. If i were to get a ZC motor put into a CRX, what limitations would I have as to what I could do? Does anyone produce aftermarket internals for it? How does it compare to a b18c1? Thank you for your time.

the DOHC ZC is a very good swap in the 2nd gen CRX - bolts right in - not very expensive - aftermarket parts not being available is a myth - you can get anything you need for the ZC, except an aftermarket intake manifold (which you wouldn't need anyway) - the ZC is 130hp, the B18C1 is 180hp - the B18C swap will run approximately 3 to 3 1/2 times as much money as a ZC swap - a B16A (160hp) swap will run about 2 to 2 1/2 times as much money as a ZC swap

My crx was a `91 dx dpfi with an automatic, I just did a zc swap and converted it to stick. I am very impressed with its speed, although I have not driven many fast cars this one is fast enough to get me into trouble already. The swap I did with the auto to man conversion cost me roughly $1,300. The zc is an easy swap, little wiring needs to be done, especially if you already have an si or a hf model (dx has the most but still very little). You will need the motor, compatible tranny, ecu and wiring if your model is a dx. While the engine is out it is recommended to replace most parts that commonly go, ie water pump, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, front/rear main seal, belts and hoses. There are many writeups on this swap, both on hs and on the net. Like anything else read up on everything first to see what your up against before starting.
Dmoore is a good site to get you started, thezcr.com search around there are more.

IN the swap forum pissedoffsol had an article in there regarding ZC's. He said something about matching the flywheel and clutch to the same year motor as ZC (when you did the swap of course). Anyone know what he meant by this?

Yeah- the 88 engines and transmissions are different from the 89-91. You can't use an 89-91 transmission on an 88 engine and vice versa.... the spline counts on the transmission input shafts are different. You can use an 89 transmission on an 88 engine if you use the 88 flywheel and pressure plate, then use the 89 clutch disc- the same works the other way around. If you buy an entire engine/transmission swap, you don't need to worry because it'll all be matched (should be anyway) from the importer you bought it from.

Thank you all for your help. If anyone thinks they have any additional information that would prove useful, im all ears.

Ya my tranny is from an 88 si, I had to match it up with the 88 flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch, but other than that everything was ok.

not to put you down about doing this swap but i dont think you will be very impressed when your done with this swap. one of my buddies has a 88 crx dx with a zc in it and he raced a bonestock sohc neon with 300,000 mi and got smoked. im sure i will be in the same boat b/c im doing a ls swap same hp stock. but just letting you know what i think.

Well, a stock 91 crx si has about 105 horsepower (i think) at the flywheel, and if the ZC has 130, that will be a pretty damn significant increase for a minimal amount of money. This wouldnt be a permanent thing. Like I said im new to doing motor swaps so i want to start off with something simple. Some people might think of a waste of money, and to experienced people it probably is. But i think the money is worth the experienced gained alone.

I have never seen a stock neon that could beat a zc in a crx. The neon is 500-600lbs heavier and even the better models are 130-140hp (except the srt-4). Thats about the same hp as the zc. Sure there is not something wrong with the motor, like its old and losing compression, poor driving habits, etc?

not to put you down about doing this swap but i dont think you will be very impressed when your done with this swap. one of my buddies has a 88 crx dx with a zc in it and he raced a bonestock sohc neon with 300,000 mi and got smoked. im sure i will be in the same boat b/c im doing a ls swap same hp stock. but just letting you know what i think.

Something was definitely wrong with the CRX then. An 88 dx is barely over 2000 lbs and with around 140 hp thers no way a sohc neon will beat it. A ZC powered CRX should do 0-60 in the late 6 second range and a sohc neon will usually run mid 8s.

Back