ZC Swap Questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wht91dx

Alright i have had mixed feelings on wheather to do a ZC swap, or a B series swap. My one friend said do ZC cause it's lighter and direct swap, and others say b series cause potential for more power.
How much power can you make out of a ZC? What's the fastest ZC that someone knows, and i was lookin at non vtec zc. Opinions and answers are greatly appreciated. I was going to do a boosted ZC and then possibly down the line bore it to 1.8 and use ls internals. Thanks

ZC is definetly easier to swap in and cheaper, you can use your d series tranny and parts. If you plan on going fi, its recommended you rebuild the bottom end, as the d series tend to be a little weaker, but then again depends on what you want to boost it up to. If you are going to bore it out I think resleeving it would be best if your going the fi path.

Alright so your saying if i want to boost it, rebuild the bottom end, nething u know of off hand of what you would do? Now how much power can you really get off a zc motor, or estimated quarter times. Thanks

I got a 10.2 in the 1/8, never did a quarter, that was with completly shot tires, and my shitty driving. I probably could get mid 9's I am guessing with better tires and if I could learn to get my 60's down (1/8th mile again). I was just looking to build a fun to drive car without getting crazy with the motor (I have the DOHC ZC), although I still may go turbo in a couple years. I plan on doing more body work so I spent alot on that already. If I go turbo I am going to rebuild the bottom end. The zc usually puts out 130-140hp depending on which model, age of the motor, tuning etc.........

I spent:
$700 for motor with shipping
$200 for `88si tranny, flywheel, linkage, shifter, pedals from junkyard(car was auto)
$40 for pm7 ecu
$20 for broken tps sensor (they come broke half the time)
$20 for wire, and parts from RadioShack (car was a DX) has to be converted to MPFI
$30 for used tranny mounts from Ebay(automatic tranny has two different mounts)
$50 for new hoses, oil, belts, cap, rotor, plugs, wires from Autozone
$300 new crx si exaust front to back from NAPA (I like stock look and not too loud)
$80 for a Tredex (spelling) clutch

There is a good amount of info on these motors, the reference section lists most of the honda motors and which have the most amount of power. There are plenty of sites you can search for on google as well as on this site.

im gonna be running just the sohc zc with vitara pistons and eagle rods and i plan on hitting 250whp at 16 psi so there is alot you can do with a d series, if you plan on going turbo and building up the bottom end a little there is no need for b series, but if you dont want to build it up or if you want it n/a i would go with a b series but if you want to be fast and save a little money build a d block and go boost i have less then 3000 ibto my build and im pretty sure i will hit high 12s

panda...
edit: hit the wrong button

it's a d series with jdm supra pistons. supposed to handle boost nicely.

Back