zc trans

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

efVTECsedan

i have a 90 lx sedan with a d15b VTEC. i was wondering if the zc cable tranny has shorter gears or any other differences than lx tranny. i have to get a different tranny because mine is about to crap out.

I believe the ZC transmission does indeed have shorter gearing. Just keep in mind that the ZC transmission requires different axles than a DX transmission. It actually uses an equal length setup similar to B-series motors. Also, the D15B block may or may not even have bolt holes to mount the intermediate shaft to the back of the block. So a ZC transmission may not even be possible. Your best bet would be to simply run a 1988-1991 SI transmission if shorter gearing is what you want.

Effin Motorworks will stuff ZC guts and new synchros into an Si transmission for pretty cheap. Good guys. :thumbsup:

Only the DOHC ZC and CG(won't work correctly with regular D-series)has the shorter gears. The SOHC ZC has gears similar to the Si/DX. Only differences are the final drives:
Gear Ratios

The D15B(and from my experience non of the 88-91 D15s) have holes for the Intermediate shaft, which is different from the B-series one but works with the 90-93 Integra axles. It's not necessary to use the intermediate shaft and Teg axles. What you can do is swap in a big-bearing(EX/Si) differential and countershaft. This will improve the acceleration(from 3.888 to 4.25) and allow you to run the stock axles. This is what I did, but chose a 92-95 EX differential due to the 88-91 differentials having a weak differential pin. Remember to check the shim clearance!

Back