ZC trouble shooting please

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

UDT

Ok, heres the deal i just replaced the head gasket on a ZC that wasint running when i got it, though it was in a car that i believe to have been running just prior to my getting my hands on it. So i cant say anything for sure other then was i have messed with. I did the head gasket and its puffing now (good sign, sounds alive). Yet it still will not start. Im fairly sure its geting gas though i have not checked the pump or injectors to make 100% sure.

The distributor was used on a frends ZC that we got running but not right, seemed like it was miss firing and almost as if all the pistions were not firing though it was making spark and did run the engine, just very poorly.

Now i go to start my ZC after HG replacment with the Same distributor that came on my ZC in the first place when the car wasint running, this is also the same one that ran my friends ZC but poorly, we never concluded the problem was the distibutor when working on his car so i cant be to sure now. I will say this though appon inspection of the dizzy with the cap off, the rotors base has been melted to the the post it slides on to, the distributor also seems to rotate rough when turned by hand.

Im on such a budget right now i cant go throwing parts at the car, granted thats not the best way to solve problems its a good deal when the cars gonna probably need these parts at some point or another anyways, its just i got tickets and stuff and cant spare much cash for this project.

Its a SOHC ZC, the fireing order would be the same as any 1.6 SOHC right?

Lower left on the dizzy being cyl (1) and above that (2) and next to that on the right (3) and then below that (4) correct?
And then from the front of the car on the head 4,3,2,1 correct?

ok step one, easiest way to check fuel pressuer, pull the nut off the fuel rail, turn the key to the on position, does gas pour out??? its a messy way to check and by no means does it determine the pressure gettin there but it tells ya if everythgin is kicking on.

pull a plug wire, put a plug in it, or pull the plug and put it in the boot rest it on the cyinder head to ground it, crank the engine, does the spark plug spark?

do this get back to us.

by the sounds of it, with teh ot her running rough and the rotor being melted and what not, it sounds like thats your prob and thats where i would start, put a cap and rotor on it.

Yeah i have not checked for spark because it dont run and i was out there by my self. But as i siad it was making spark when it was on my friends car. I will check the fuel, thats a good idea. I was thinking about geting the cap and rotor, but didint wanna get it if im only gonna end up geting a whole new dizzy, cause of the limited funds. Thoug him not sure what i should do, i htink i will just pick them both up (cap and rotor) Reguardless would the slitly ruff/ kinda sticking shaft in the diizy cause any problems.

Back