1996 Nissan Altima Problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
So I just changed my brothers trans is his 5 speed 2.4l altima for the 3rd time

first trans was leaking fluid, got low and started howling
second trans we put in was winding from the junk yard so we got a free one
finally put the third trans in and sure enough its leaking from the trans input shaft seal like all the other did, this car is fucking me

well, he's just gonna beat it around for a couple months checking the fluid

so he goes to get it inspected and we've got 5 codes
P0500 VSS
P0325 Knock Sensor
P0136 O2 Sensor
P0335 Crank Position Sensor
P1320 Manufacturer Specific

I looked up the P1320 and its ignition coil/ignitioon problem

Now when i got the car all back together I had 2 small problems. One was I had the wrong plug going to the ignition coil, i switched the plugs and it fired right off. The VSS in the new trans was diffrent so it had to be replaced the following today, and now the speedo works fine.

Now this car runs great, lots of power, no missing, just a strong running motor. I don't for the life of me understand why its throwing 5 codes, 3 of which have the potential to make the car not run at all.

And to make things even better, either this inspection station was pulling some strange codes, or someone unhooked/pulled the bulb from the cluster because I have no CEL, not even when you first turn the key on. And the battery was unhooked for a few months prior to this so I don't know where the codes came from.

Help?

If the CEL isnt on, then it's not throwin the codes anymore, right? My vote is that ECU gremlins threw the random codes. Perform an exorcism on the car immediately.

well, i ripped the cluster out lastnight and sure enough the CEL bulb was gone
altimas also have an ECU LED light that was MIA as well

so i robbed the seat belt light and got the CEL back
then i ran the codes and got all 5
then i cleared the codes and we took it for a ride
everything went fine for 15 minutes, then i turned it off and back on...
well, CEL came back
knock sensor, heated O2 sensor, and crank sensor

not sure on the first 2 but i figured out the crank sensor.
the crank sensor is on the TRANSMISSION
the trans we put back in doesn't have the spot by the flywheel for the magnetic pickup so my brother is going to try and drill out the housing and mount the sensor to make that CEL go away
then replace the heated o2 if its even there
(this was an auction car so i know why the CEL bulb was gone and who knows what else is hacked)

both books we have show nothing of the knock sensor but nissan sells one
so if anyone knows where it might be on this motor please let me know...
thanks

so the exhaust doesn't even have the spot for the 2nd o2 sensor
awesome

but the knock sensor is there, and the plug is there, its just gonna be a bitch to change it

Back