2000 CRV NOOB upgrade motor suggestions?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ftanka0

So I have a 2000 CRV and it was driven overheated until the motor was crackling. Since i need to replace the motor, I want to take advantage and upgrade. What do you guys suggest? Should I put in same motor or is there a more powerful and faster motor i can put on this?

You can pretty easily put any b series motor in there.... however if your CRV is an automatic then i wouldnt bother.

I noticed the stock one is the best one in the b class. why you wouldn't bother? I wanted to upgrade since i have it in the country where there are many steep hills to climb

I noticed the stock one is the best one in the b class. why you wouldn't bother? I wanted to upgrade since i have it in the country where there are many steep hills to climb

If that's the case then I'd replace it with another B20. It's not all about horsepower. The B20 is the largest of the B-series motors and will have the most torque. That's why they put it in the CR-V.

What year is your truck? If it's an older one, you can at least upgrade the B20Z. Those had a few more horsepower than the older B20B. I've also seen H-series engines swapped in to CR-Vs, but it's not a 100% bolt-in swap like the B-series is...

yeah, what he said.

and the reason i said i wouldnt bother, is because the vtec motors turn a lot higher rpms to make power and rely on the tighter gearing of the manual transmissions that originally came on the vtec motors. in other words, they wont work well with your auto transmission.

If you have done any research, im sure you have seen how you can put a vtec head on a b20 block and make a more powerful engine. This would be an option if you are serious about spending some money to make your CRV faster. but its kind of opening a whole new can of worms.

Its a 2000 so it has the B20z. Someone suggested to put a k series motor. I have an automatic transmission. So basically you guys are saying my best bet is to just keep it stock with the b20z?

if you have 4wd, K is not going to happen.

another b20z would be a direct plug and play option.
anything else is going to require some work, mount changes, wiring changes, etc etc.

There'a always the option to build the replacement b20z as well. any LS (non vtec b18b) cams, etc will work in the head as they are pretty much the same head casting-wise.

or, the vtec head swap option... but that requires wiring, new computer, etc etc.

and still, as above, if its an auto, the auto probably won't take too much more power than it is currently being fed. honda auto's are known for being pretty weak.

Yeah...if it's automatic and 4wd you'd have a hell of a time trying to swap a K-series in. You need to stay B-series. If you're serious about making more power you can look in to a decent header and exhaust and some tuning. Or you could look in to forced induction, but like B said, your transmission may not last long...

K i guess ill get another b20z. So new header, exhaust and other tuning will not affect my transmission? How much hp increase you think i can get out of this car by tuning and modifying with this engine

Back