84mm B18C Dry or Wet Sleeves

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Domi31

Last year I rebuilt my B18C-R. I rebuilt back to Honda stock specs and really enjoyed it (building a Motor w/Father plus Beer = Happiness)

I now I want to build it for some more power. So just doing my research.
I want to keep the ITR Block but want more displacement, keeping the compression south of 12:1.

I'm thinking of Sleeving it but can I get away with putting Dry Sleeves and getting it to 84mm.
Or is the more expensive Wet Sleeves the Proper way of getting the bigger displacement.

Not a crazy build would enjoy 200whp just want more low end for my autocross season.

I dont think anyone knows what you mean by "dry" or "wet" sleeves.

stock bore is 81mm. I wouldnt go over 81.5mm without resleeving it.
84mm will require new sleeves
resleeving involves machining out the old sleeves and pressing in new ones, then rebored to your desired bore. this process isnt usually described as differing in a "dry" or "wet" aspect. usually only difference is the company who produces the sleeves and the shop that performs the work. but pretty much any of the sleeve options are capable of 84mm

if you only want 200whp, you dont need 84mm

Intake/Header (good one, not ebay trash), Exhast
Cams
Headwork (PnP)
Tune (Hondata/Neptune/whateverspopularthesedays)
maybe new pistons if you want to bump the CR a bit (can still keep it under 12:1)
I'd get ARP head studs and Rod bolts while you're at it
93+ octane

should get you there.

I made 215whp on a GSR motor build quite a few years back with the 1.8L setup.

Portflow ported GSR head
Skunk2 Stage2 cams (the old ones)
JDM ITR (P73-00) 81.25mm pistons
with the headgasket, put me about 11.5-11.8 : 1 CR
SMSP Header
Generic 3" intake with proper velocity stack
93octane

Dry sleeves are like a liner in the old sleeves, so they dont touch coolent, but are ment to be stronger then OEM. Darton makes then wet and dry

Wet sleeves will have coolent around them. Pulling verbage from online

The 200whp isnt really a goal ,more of a statment that im not tring to build an allmotor monster. I really want to up my displacment for more low end grunt for autocross

So can i get 84mm slugs in with the harder liners or the full slevees should be replaced

The oem wall thickness is too thin to support anything over 81.5. you'll have to replace fully with the thicker ones.

Are you running the jdm-R tranny? maybe gearing is where you should be focusing efforts. a 4.90 fdr will bump rpm up, which is a net effect of more power at lower speeds

Looks like the dry sleeves are more of a pain to install than real wet sleeves.

If you want to sleeve, spend the extra few hundred bucks and do it right.

Why not use a different bottom end that doesn't need new sleeves. IMO sleeves are not need for your goals or even 40hp more.

12.5:1 pistons, rods, ported head, cams, bigger injectors and E85 is a good combo. Quality header and intake.

If you're recommending E85 I'd go WAY higher than 12.5:1. I imagine that he wants to stay on pump gas.

You can go higher for sure. I know even stock compression K-series (K20A/A2/Z1/Z3 and K24A2) like E85. K24A2 EG swaps hitting 11's with bolt ons, cams, injectors and E85....and tune. But I know guys get close (low low 12's) with pump 93 too. Might be guys hitting 11's too but can't recall.

Back