90 accord f22A4 gets hot

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

slicker2ya07

Guessing I have a blown head gasket. Tuned rich.. 550cc injectors.. stock pistons.. eBay turbo @20psi with map sensor vacuum bypass valve(ordering a 3 bar).. Any way. Noticed the other day at idle I started to get hot but as I wound the motor up it started to cool off back to normal.. Thought my water pump had spun on the shaft but that wasent it. Tried to research high rpm cooling engine hot at idle found a lot of unsure results. Top radiator hose has good pressure and its not leaking out anywhere visually. Also changed the t stat the other day started it and bled it so I'm 90% sure its not an air pocket.. So wanting a few others thoughts rather than just stripping down a motor for no reason.. I have a new water pump that I welded impeller to shaft and top end rebuild kit with graphite gaskets ready to go cus I planned on having the head shaved any way and honing the cylinder in vehicle to install higher comp pistons(maybe but a thought for down the road). But for now if the head has a blown gasket its gonna get shaved.. So thoughts on my problem and should I use copper spray or anything on my graphite gasket when installing??

Last edited:
Do you have oil in your coolant or coolant in your oil? That's the common test for a blown head gasket.

Do you have oil in your coolant or coolant in your oil? That's the common test for a blown head gasket.
No sir I don't.. Both are clean.. At first I thought the water pump had spun on shaft but that was not it. However I did notice rad hoses were swolen so I must be pushing compression into the coolant.. Either way after having it dang near torn apart for just hoping it was the water pump I'm just gonna have the head shaved and new gaskets put in.. I'm curious to what would be a better head gasket tho graphite or mls(multi layered steel).. I have a graphite one already here but if mls is the way to go then I'll order it.. I'm curious to what would withstand 20 psi of boost better since I bought ARP headstuds also.. Do I need to coat the headgasket with anything using graph or mls?

Back