91 civic Lx j series swap questions.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Brandonspringle

Alright so everyone might think I'm crazy but I am serious when I ask my questions and I would like serious answers. So I drive a 91 civic sedan Lx it has it's stock D15 in it but I plan on going bigger. I also have a 93 accord Lx that is my project car. My accord has 4 18" subwoofers in the backseat. But that car is not street legal anymore so to get that car to car shows I'll have to trailer it. So finally my question is , is it possible to swap a j series motor into my civic and be able to pull my accord on a trailer? My buddy that works on Hondas says adding a hitch and beefing up the rear end is no problem. Plus air bag suspension to hold the wirght. But it's just getting enough power.

So will a J35a7 plus the 6 speed manual trans fit in my 91 civic Lx and have enough power to pull trailer / car ?
Where can I buy the motor and trans with low miles on both ?

You can make anything fit, but is it worth it? Will towing this much weight even be legal?
Remember that you also must upgrade brakes and suspension not only for the added weight of the engine/tranny but for the extra weight from the trailer.

I would just buy a truck, suv, or van that has the towing capacity to tow your Accord and the trailer. Save the time and money but you will also be safer.

Plus your Civic won't be heavy enough to control the load of an Accord on a trailer...

Alright so what j series motor puts out most power

The ones from the Odyssey and the ones from the higher end Acura sedans will have the most power.

But really though...why? You'll spend a shit ton of money completing this swap, adding the suspension, and beefing up the frame. Best case scenario...it all works but it's probably not legal to tow with. Worst case scenario, like Calesta said, the Civic's not heavy enough to control the weight of a trailer with the Accord on it.

Sell the Civic. Buy a cheap truck or SUV. This is the safest, most cost effective, and likely the only legal option.

/thread

werd. the hatch is too light, has too small of brakes, and has far too short of a wheelbase to tow a 3000lb car. The best J series is from the 07/08 TL-S.

Back