another weird swap D15B1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

scott@8pm

pants loser
I'm going thru a breakup, and the ex was gonna get the DX/HF Rex, but it's not ready, and it's a frankenstein so other mechanics might freak on it. It already has the early '90 (see 1989) DX front brakes. That stumped me for a day getting rotors.

So she wont get my frankenstein HF MPFI w/ EGR with all its wiring fangling but I found a '90 4spd hatch which drives smooth and looks good.

I've got all these leftover D15B2 parts to swap it... Cam, ECU, 5spd trans(actually an Si or JDM trans)... to make this hatch similar to a 5spd DX. And a DX emblem might make it close enough so most mechanics wont freak out with wrong parts. I'll also swap out the axles and hubs to DX. She really liked the DX Rex for power so the base hatch D15B1 is comparatively a dog. I'd forfeit power for fuel mileage myself. She wants the power (and the room of th hatch).

Is there any reason to avoid this swap (cam, ecu, trans) to make my D15B1 to a D15B2 (I'll also find and remove the restrictor plate)? The best reason I can think of is that the engine will say "OMG-WTF_BBQ" And implode/explode simultaneously from the sudden quick RPM increase. The only differences I can find are the cam, ecu, and trans as far as powertrain management is concerned.

I'm willing to take that risk. She can keep driving the '82 Civic wagon 5spd or the 90 DX auto till I get things sorted anyway.

thoughts/suggestions?

Last edited:
so, ummm, I'll let you know how it goes maybe?
I have to get another cam 'cause i used the rex cam for a dragon's neck, but I might take the 4spd cam and use it in my rex if I change it back to a 16 valve. That might be worth noting.

Last edited:
Hey, So I'm a noob to the whole Honda thing, but I'm looking at doing the exact same thing to my D15B1. I've done lots and LOTS of reading, and so far it seems like a do-able thing. I'd like to start with this to "get my hands dirty" with honda stuff... then maybe do a MPFI conversion.... Dunno. I bought my car as a Daily Driver, and am not looking to race it, I just want it to be a little more fun to drive.

Please post a follow up if you do complete your "conversion / swap" Thanks!!!!

I am wondering why you are worried about a mechanic "freaking out" whe they work on your car.

if you are changing your cam and r&r your intake manifold you should be a pretty good mechanic yourself.

my advice is this, your wife wants power, so when you take off the stock intake, replace it with an MPFI set-up.

and 16v>8v all day and doesnt seem to affect my economy much, I get about 40mpg on the highway with my Z6/Si 5speed.

Back