Auto tranny not shifting

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

radeon

I have searched around , but haven't found anyone that was having the same problems as me. I have a 99 civic ex. I just rebuilt the motor and dropped the motor and tranny in. While it was jacked up I could press the brake and shift though all the gears. But now that it is on the ground I have to use the shift lock button under the shifter plate to get out of park. Then when i try and drive the car it won't shift out of gear and if it's in D3/D4 it will slip every now and then and act like its in neutral. But if while driving in D3/D4 and i drop it down to 2nd you can feel it shift into 2nd, but you can't feel it shift any other time. I can't drive over 25 cause I don't want to mess the tranny up anymore then it probably already is. Anyone have any clues as to what this could be? I have tried moving some of the wires for the sensors around to see if I had them backwards, but then the green light around D4 starts blinking until I swap them back. There is what looks to be a valve on the top of the tranny. It looks like it should have some kind of hose hooked to it, what is this and could it be the cause of the problem? While the car was up on stands I bled the brakes. I adjusted the shift cable while it was still on stands, cause it had gotten moved from neutral before being hooked backup so after it was hooked up when it was in park it was actually in reverse so it wouldn't start. When you press the brake you don't hear or feel the shifter lock solenoid engage or disengage inside the shifter console. The only connectors that are unplugged are the knock sensor, the connector on top of the throttle body and some sensor that sits in between the 2 coolant lines that come from the IACV. The one by the IACV, my dad broke and I just figured it was a coolant sensor and would replace it once the car was running. As for the one on top of the throttle body, the rpms were bouncing around and I cleaned out the IACV and throttle body and that fixed it. Except that then the car idled at 2500, but when I unhooked the connector it dropped down to around 800 or so and was idling fine.And what I mean by shift lock is the thing where you have to use your key or a screwdriver to manually release the shifter.

Thanks

yo

Good luck man I'm still trying to figure this out, I have a 90 wagovan that is doing the same thing. I've swapped 3 different transmission solenoids on it, and still the same exact thing. It doesn't wanna shift above 3000rpms, I could go faster, but the rpms just keep climing and wont shift, so I can only drive it about 30mph and the rpms are at about 2500. If you figure it out, please let me know.

Back