B20 Largest Bore?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Question!
Is it possible to increase the displacement of a GSR block to:
Bore (mm): 84
Stroke (mm): 89

If so, would it yield the same results as a B20/LS/VTEC built, minus the frankenstein affect?

Jason, you know why I'm asking about this :D

Originally posted by dvs_prelude@Jan 30 2003, 11:09 AM
Question!
Is it possible to increase the displacement of a GSR block to:
Bore (mm): 84
Stroke (mm): 89

If so, would it yield the same results as a B20/LS/VTEC built, minus the frankenstein affect?

Jason, you know why I'm asking about this :D

yeah i know exactly why your asking hahaha... but im pretty sure that it is possible to do that to a GSR??? i dont see why not, cause in theory it would be pretty much the same as a b20 yes? im almost 95% sure that you can, im not sure what erick is running stroke wise but if i remember correctly he is running 85mm pistons???????????? i dunno i'll check back and let you know canek :)

yeah he is running

bore: 85mm
stroke: 87.2mm
[info found at ericksracing.com]

hah! i knew it was something around those specs :lol:

hey canek, remember with those specs listed above erick is at 2.1L... did you buy the car yet?

Originally posted by 2 litre EG@Jan 30 2003, 02:24 PM
yeah he is running

hey canek, remember with those specs listed above erick is at 2.1L... did you buy the car yet?

Wow 2.1L even with the stroke at 87.2mm as opposed to 89mm?
Are you sure? If so that's tight!!!!

Originally posted by dvs_prelude+Jan 30 2003, 05:57 PM-->
2 litre EG
@Jan 30 2003, 02:24 PM
yeah he is running

Wow 2.1L even with the stroke at 87.2mm as opposed to 89mm?
Are you sure? If so that's tight!!!!

well thats what the site says... he could be lying but iunno...

when i get my car tuned in the next few weeks i'll ask him for you canek.

Originally posted by 2 litre EG@Jan 30 2003, 06:27 PM

when i get my car tuned in the next few weeks i'll ask him for you canek.

Tight... Yeah I still haven't decided which one I'm gonna buy, but I think I'm leaning towards the hatch with the GSR. Either way, I have to sell my prelude first... On the other hand, that fully built B20 hatch still sounds nice... :unsure:

as far as Enichiro Oyama [Erick's official Tuner] and Erick have told me to my face, they tell me he runs a 2.1 and i believe them... aiight koo, you did the math and you got 1.9?? personally i dont know how to do the math to figure it out, nor do i really care at this point [not trying to sound offensive]... but yeah canek when i give Erick and Enichiro a call i'll give you a call so maybe we can meet up and kick it for a bit, and so you can see my car koo???

as soon as you sell your lude then go for the GSR, or buy that type-r motor with the free car lol!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by 2 litre EG@Jan 31 2003, 03:22 PM
as soon as you sell your lude then go for the GSR, or buy that type-r motor with the free car lol!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: ... yeah I was thinking about that, since the bucket I mean car did feel fast and pulled really hard in VTEC. Needs alot of work though. He wants 6000, and it needs suspension, brakes, clutch, rims, tires, body, bumper, interior, steering wheel (currently has ricy mini GT steering wheel) paint...etc. etc. It's FUgly.. :lol:

But what about it blowing black smoke screen when VTEC kicks in? Probably needs an engine rebuild also. :fr: I think that car suffers from rice abuse.

Originally posted by 2 litre EG@Jan 31 2003, 02:22 PM
aiight koo, you did the math and you got 1.9??

No, the math shows as 1979cc. I think I read 1.9L somewhere... but that could have been another car too.

Math side:

Cylinder Displacement = pi x [ [ Bore(cm) / 2 ] ^ 2 ] x stroke(cm) = [ pi x [ Bore(cm) ] ^ 2 ] / 4 x stroke(cm)
Engine Displacement = Cylinder Displacement x Number of Cylinders

Easy. You're just calculating the swept volume of the cylinder. Sooo.... 3.14159 x (8.5/2)^2 x 8.72 = 494.816 cc per cylinder, which gives you a total displacement of 1979.265cc. 2.1L (2073cc) would only happen if he was running an 87mm bore with that 87.2mm GSR stroke.

:owned: :worthy: :woo:
these forums are gettin too stupid for knowledgable tuners like calesta.
I do believe that the Erick Racing civic has a 2.1 liter, you dont have the worlds fastest all motor w/o going all out. Meaning that he's
running an 87mm bore with that 87.2mm GSR stroke.

BTW: I worship Ericks motor like a musslim to mecca

Originally posted by timEspeed@Feb 1 2003, 12:39 AM
:owned: :worthy: :woo:
these forums are gettin too stupid for knowledgable tuners like calesta.
I do believe that the Erick Racing civic has a 2.1 liter, you dont have the worlds fastest all motor w/o going all out. Meaning that he's
running an 87mm bore with that 87.2mm GSR stroke.

BTW: I worship Ericks motor like a musslim to mecca

Nah... I'm just an engineer that knows a thing or forty about cars- wait cars is the whole reason why I got into engineering in the first place. :lol:

I don't know that Erick is running 87x87.2, although that is a pretty good setup. There are several ways to get to 2.1L, plus you don't know how far away he really is from an exact 2.1L. 86x89 will get you to 2067cc (LS crank), 87x89 will get you to 2116cc (LS crank), and 87x87.2 will still get you that 2073cc size (GSR crank). Now... an 84x95 setup would get you 2106cc (B20A crank), and make gobs of torque down low from the long stroke... but I doubt he's doing that.

b20a is the prelude right (i thought parts from this motor weren't interchangeable)? sounds like a good set up but its gotta be difficult putting that crank in a b20b or bored b18. Otherwise we'd here about it alittle more often. What are the disadvantages of long stroke (more time at TDC?)?
2 litre~ how do you know Erick?

the longer stroke puts more stress on rods at any given rpm. people sometimes go with a shorter stroke to allow for higher revs.

Originally posted by timEspeed@Feb 1 2003, 01:58 AM
2 litre~ how do you know Erick?

i know him cause he has tuned two of my previous ECUs and his sponsor Enichiro @ Zero Factory Dynoed my EG... I first met Erick through my friends Eddie, Rich and Taren at RS machining... after i had my first motor built at RS they referred me to him to get my ECU tuned [in my old EF]... after i got my second motor done... i was talkin with Doug Macmillan at Hondata and he also referred me to Erick to tune my car, since Doug taught him personally how to tune the Hondata... from there Erick and i only say wassup at events, plus he kinda still owes me my launch control for my Hondata. but i talked to Erick a few days ago and he told me to come in whenever to get my EG tuned again with the new head set-up im running in order to get ready for Palmdale and Bakersfield which are events coming up in the next Month

but yeah that should answer your question how i know Erick... :blink:

Edit: Calesta - you know ashley over at Intercrew also right?? just curious cause they used to deal with a friend of mine who used to wholesale accessories to them...

QUESTION GUYS,,,,,,,,,, i heard people said you dont have resleeve your block when running all motor?? like for instance i wanna run all motor b20b block but i wanna bore to a 86mm stock is 84mm... do you think the stock sleeves will servive 13.2:1 - 14.2:1 wiseco pistons comprssion bored to a 86mm ? this is open to any one please help me out !!

Wow... super dead thread resurrection, but relevant.

No, you really don't need to resleeve for either all motor or boost- IF you stay at 84 or 84.5mm. 86mm is getting REALLY thin no matter what sleeve setup you use. If you want to stand any chance of the engine surviving at an 86mm bore, you really need to run an aftermarket sleeve setup.

Back