Blown Head? B18C-R

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Domi31

driving down to an Autocross Event this Sunday, along the freeway I decided to downshift to 4th, and then motor hesitated and just a sh*t load of smoke; pull off to the side, car would fire up, but run as if it was down on a cylinder. So I got my free AAA tow home :(
Motor is a JDM B18C spec R

Today I pulled the spark plugs, ton of oil on the threads. Did a compression test on it I get 245 to 250 psi across all the cylinders. So Im holding good Compression. I called my pops and he has a cool camera, we sent it down and we see some fresh oil on the top of the cylinders 1 and 2. We put a 90 degree mirror on it and we can see drops of oil slowling coming down the cylinder walls. So we are thinking Head Gasket.

One thing that scares me is that part of the porcleain from the spark plug broke off. If I damaged the walls would it hold such good compression?

If your numbers are truly within 2% of each other on all cylinders, and are in the 250 psi range, it is safe to rule out a head gasket. Also, it is far more likely that coolant from a water jacket would be bleeding into the cylinders and not oil.

You need to start with a full diagnostic to rule out more basic and common failures. Spark, fuel, timing check, then move on to head gasket or mechanical failures. Follow a logical progression starting with the simplest things and moving toward the complex.

Rings could have gone out.

Are you performing a compression test with a bunch of oil in each cylinder kind of like you had mentioned? Is the lower reading the cylinder with oil in it?

Oil in the cylinder will bump up compression, you need a dry reading.

I would just pull the head, sounds like you might have some damage to the walls, head, piston if part of a plug broke off and was shooting around. I have seen this before on a usdm type r and it had all the same issues.

I agree about the head gasket, you would have coolant more likely because the oil wouldn't be under pressure and would return to the pan.

Oil on the cylinder wall could be bad valve seals. Why should he pull his head on a hunch instead of actually doing a full diagnostic? The running problem could be completely unrelated to the oil in the cylinder.

1st I said I would

2nd he mentions the spark plug partially broke off and I would check for damage in the cylinder

How hard is it to pull a head off? couple hours off work, and at least you know for sure.

Like I said, it's what I would do after his initial findings so far.

I gotcha. For most people, the expense and time related to pulling a head are costly. I believe the head bolts are TTY and should not be re-used. Nor should the gasket. Also the timing belt will have to come off and be realigned and re-tensioned for reinstall. Seems like a bit more time and work than a couple hours.

It could- perform a leakdown test on it. Easier to tell where the problem is before you rip it open.

Just got done doing a leakdown test, had to borrow tools and compressor.

Put #1 TDC and we had air leaking from the other spark plug holes cylinder 3 & 2, also air coming from the Intake Manifold. No air coming from the crank case. Thinking possible bent intake vavle (due to broken Spark Plug), possible head gasket (air leaking into next cylinder, then leaking out the intake valve that is opened). So head will be coming off. Just need to really get my work space cleaned before this happens so possible this weekend, If I can make a run to the city dump, did major work on my house and my garage is filled with crap!!

Luckly this is a weekend car and so having it torn down wont hurt me. Would like to know some good quality Honda Head rebuild kits please, I figure just have everything done and replaced. I figure once we pull the head we can check the cylinder walls so see if there is more damage.

I will not take head off untill I purchase the Head Rebuild kit, I dont want a head pulled off just chilling for a month or so. I have SK2 Stg 2 cams, springs, retainers that were going in soon so this would be the time, for Tune s200 hondata w/p28; I already own this stuff. So please direct me where I could find total Head Rebuild Kit

Last edited:
I gotcha. For most people, the expense and time related to pulling a head are costly. I believe the head bolts are TTY and should not be re-used. Nor should the gasket. Also the timing belt will have to come off and be realigned and re-tensioned for reinstall. Seems like a bit more time and work than a couple hours.

Personally I would replace those things anyway in this case. Add some arp studs, new gasket, and take this oppurtunity to replace the water pump/oil pump depnding on age. Thats just me, anytime I have a failure I normally just tear it down and add new parts so I know Im going to be ok.

Pretty easy to remove the head and keep the cam gears zip tied to the belt if you didnt feel like replacing the belt also.

I guess I have done it so much its not a huge deal anymore.

domi sorry to hear its damaged, pull that head off and inspect everything. Im not sure why you are worried about the head being off, just cover the block.

Sucks to hear about this. Once you get things together it will be similar to my build. I recommend going OEM for bearings, piston rings, and head gasket at the bare minimum. Are your skunk2 stage2 cams brand new? I just had a new set wreck havok on my rockers. I'm 99% convinced the issue was a bad profile on the exhaust side vtec...

domi sorry to hear its damaged, pull that head off and inspect everything. Im not sure why you are worried about the head being off, just cover the block.

My worries are the status of diff projects in the garage (uncar related projects etc) before I tear into it, I just need my garage cleaned out before I start taking apart the motor. Especialy if I have to the bottem end

Sucks to hear about this. Once you get things together it will be similar to my build. I recommend going OEM for bearings, piston rings, and head gasket at the bare minimum. Are your skunk2 stage2 cams brand new? I just had a new set wreck havok on my rockers. I'm 99% convinced the issue was a bad profile on the exhaust side vtec...

I really dont want to dive into the bottem end if I dont have too. Yes the Cams are brand new. Has anyone else had this problem that you know of?

I just put on a new oilpump a few months back, motor will recive new belt, water pump etc.

Does anyone know of a good quality Head Rebuild Kit? gasket, seals, etc?

Back