boost creep at higher rpms

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yeah my mpg is shit now since i got my stg 5 clutch and i get on it. before with my stg2 6 puck it would slip so i couldn't really get down. now, i get like 160 miles per tank on 93 octane. LOL i'll be soo glad to get tuned.

Yup, that's a good starting point for most setups. Depending on the setup it could need a lot more timing from that point, though.

yeah, we didn't even have that much in the car. im almost certain that was my problem now. the car had 7 degrees of timing in it at ~15psi (couldn't really tell what it was getting because the creep was so bad) and it made 320/288 @ 5600RPM's. It wouldn't go any further than 5600 because the car was hitting the boost cut.

yeah, we didn't even have that much in the car. im almost certain that was my problem now. the car had 7 degrees of timing in it at ~15psi (couldn't really tell what it was getting because the creep was so bad) and it made 320/288 @ 5600RPM's. It wouldn't go any further than 5600 because the car was hitting the boost cut.

Ouch! That's really low timing wise, but honestly, the ECU puts some limitations on how low of timing you can actually run. You were probably running more than that. Definitely would be part of the cause either way!

Ouch! That's really low timing wise, but honestly, the ECU puts some limitations on how low of timing you can actually run. You were probably running more than that. Definitely would be part of the cause either way!

i was thinking the same thing
i was figuring my car should AT LEAST have been at 15 degrees of timing, which would have been 1 degree of timing per lb of boost, but i also wasnt the one tuning my car ^_^

Cody, he's fairly well known here in Spokane.

While we were on the dyno, he called Reid from Kaizenspeed and he said that Reid agreed to the timing numbers he told him. Hm.

Odd that a tuner would call another tuner to ask about timing numbers. If they both agreed there must have been a reason for it... I'd assume.

Yeah, I found that strange too. We were trying to work out a misfiring issue at first, but that was quickly resolved. The cap was extremely dirty and the rotor worn down. After replacing those it was back to business.

I suppose 320 is a decent number for a stock sleeve LS with a built bottom, and BC turbo cams, but i was hoping to peak 400.

With the timing being so low, I think there's more in it. Depending on the Intake Manifold and Head work, if any, you may even be able to reach that goal. 320 is pretty good, though.

Its got an Edelbrock Victor X on it right now. At the time it had just a stock one. The head work is mild, it has a gasket match PnP, nothing fancy. I was thinking there was a lot left in it with the timing. Not to mention the AFR's were low 11's consistently through the pull.

Yea thats what I was thinking. What do you guys charge for just a basic dyno tune (an hour or so), and what program do you guys prefer to tune with?

its ok matt, i dont mind. well i just found out that the seals on my turbo are blown and i have oil coming out of my compressor housing. great. i need a new t3/t4 57 or 60trim .48ar if possible turbo that will spool fast on a d16z6 and be capable of 400whp

60 trim garrett t3/t4 might get you there, but i'm honestly not 100% about that turbo on 400whp on the z6

ima get a borg warner/holset 50 trim t3/t4 .55 ar from Go-Autoworks as soon as income tax gets in alongs with the rest of my goodies. its good for 450whp. i'll only be pushing 300whp max. Anymore than that is silly on the street in fwd :)

Last edited:
youre damn right it is, unless you have the drivetrain to put it to the pavement

Back