bought a cheap obd2 scanner

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BodyDroppedNikes

...PENDEJO....
VIP
bought me a cheap obd2 scanner off of amazon for $15. i havent tried it out yet but i figured what the hell. heres a link to the one i bought:

https://www.amazon.com/OBD2-Scanner...1207&sr=1-2&keywords=obd+ii+auto+code+scanner

i know its not high end, but i dont need something crazy, just tell me what the code is.

**admin** if this is in wrong spot, i wasnt sure where to put it. please move to correct area as needed.

dVDJiez.gif

but how bout something related to a review
build quality, features, use, etc...

lol I might be bias but dont expect that to do much of anything other than pull the code without any description and SOMTIMES be able to clear it , you arent looking at live data, you arent seeing any manufacturer specific codes .arent resetting any abs/airbag/functional test, not saying it isnt worth anything but it was $15 , you can clear only GLOBAL OBD codes and see if the readiness monitors are done , not even talking shit but id want to throw this thing on the ground and stop it then finish it off with a hammer within minutes if I actually had to diagnose a car with it because with something like this you are literally stuck getting a P0 code and having to go straight to the internet to get dicked around, you cant go into the live data and actually look at the sensor readouts to see whats failing or not within parameters , hmu when you want a deal on a real diagnostic tool

we dont always have that option. thats why i got a cheap one to work with my phone that does 75% of what your fancy one does lol

i use a simple OBDII scanner from advance auto
it does what i need. clear codes and check readiness monitors.
we're allowed to pass inspection with 1 monitor in not ready status, so it's helped me out with inspections more times than i can count.

I think my sister bought this same one from amazon, works well for its intended purpose.

we dont always have that option. thats why i got a cheap one to work with my phone that does 75% of what your fancy one does lol
no it doesnt lol but glad youre the expert ;) I could go into it with you and tell/show you the differences but its not going to do me any good, phone apps again are for basic code pulling with maybe a small description you arent getting into any functionality or bidirectional test , for most you guys just wanting to know what the code is and do research on it its fine but as far as diagnostic in a shop big no other than a quick code pull in the parking lot for free

you realize you are a snap on tool salesman talking to a bunch of shade tree type guys right?
we're not selling diagnostic services that we could get a ROI from a $360 diagnostic tool.

that'd be like me telling a guy using turbo tax that he should buy my 15,000+ tax software to do his taxes because its far superior.

Last edited:
This is the one I have, cost me $11 and the iPhone app was free.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ELM327-W...9835&wl11=online&wl12=613021146&wl13=&veh=sem

7edaf598-7264-4ce9-8887-73cfcdb4d996_1.0fdb21e00dd2ea3093802c962a109e4a.jpeg

I've used it to pull/reset codes from my 1997 LX450 and even my 2011 335d, which I was able to cross reference the simple BMW code it gave with what the problem was. I've used it many times on friends and family cars as well. So easy to use. Also gives you real time sensor data which was handy in the LX when it looked like it might be starting to overheat, I was able to get exact temperature data in real time.

This is the one I have, cost me $11 and the iPhone app was free.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ELM327-W...9835&wl11=online&wl12=613021146&wl13=&veh=sem

7edaf598-7264-4ce9-8887-73cfcdb4d996_1.0fdb21e00dd2ea3093802c962a109e4a.jpeg

I've used it to pull/reset codes from my 1997 LX450 and even my 2011 335d, which I was able to cross reference the simple BMW code it gave with what the problem was. I've used it many times on friends and family cars as well. So easy to use. Also gives you real time sensor data which was handy in the LX when it looked like it might be starting to overheat, I was able to get exact temperature data in real time.

That's the one I had but i upgraded to the obdlink mx because it's way faster for real time data.

I still havent taken it out of the package yet...lol. once I do, I will do a quality check on it to see how good it is. And yes, it does clear the codes....

Back