but wheres the money coming from?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1) i'm not worried about teachers taking private sector jobs. I would LOVE to see the best teachers making money they deserve. As with any career field, supply=demand. there will always be someone willing to work that field, or any field for that matter. if you want the best, you have to pay the best. it's just how it works. the yankees are usually the best team because they pay the most to their players and get the best players.

if we continue on this path, i will pay extra to go somewhere to get the proper help i need. if i can't afford it, well then, i failed myself.
I have to defend my Yankees really quick, Most of their best players came through their farm teams. They get paid what they do because they are great players. I'm not going to list them now, but my friends and I just started naming players the other day and we couldn't stop thinking of players that came up through the ranks.
ANYWAY....

I have quite a few friends that are teachers. The reasons for choosing that career vary slightly, but in general, they like the hours, summers off, and most of them actually do like helping the kids, minus the few little shitheads.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you to an extent. If shit doesn't change, I'm jumping ship too.

slush, i think we are on the same page on this.

if you want good teachers, pay them well. the better the private school, the more expensive the tuition. it is obvious that better teachers, better facilities, and better opportunities will increase tuition. increased tuition=more revenue. greater revenue=more pay for teachers. when you can pay more to a teacher, they are more likely to teach there.

if you have to choose between getting paid $45k at a public school vs. $80k at a private school. the choice is obvious. if you are unwilling or unable to do that, i'm sorry, i can't help anymore.

in relation to the yankees analogy. i would rather get paid $100mm to play for the yankees than $10mm to play for the padres. better pay, better team, better options.

Ok not that I don't believe any of the info you are stating but show me hard numbers where private school teachers are making almost double their public school counterpart. College doesn't count I am on google and still haven't found any data to prove anything either way.

Your method is somewhat flawed though as there is a bigger data pool for public schools than there is for private schools therefore skewing the average. Also public school salary is public record how are we sure the private school data is accurate? Lastly many districts are limited on salary due to that tax burden it puts on the tax district which is exactly the reason we have lower salaries.

yes, tax burden. we already tax people a lot. so everybody who doesn't believe in the school system still pays taxes, then pays on top of that for their children to go to a private school.

i believe a good approach would be a voucher type system.

then again, good areas to live in GENERALLY have better schools. even if they are public. there are very many good public schools out there. if i want my future child to have a good education, i know where to go. even then, i will end up paying more in taxes.

The biggest reason why kids are lazy and don't try in school is because no matter what they do or don't do they know they can't be touched. When I fucked around in school and the teachers or principal called my parents I knew the rest of the day that when I got home I was in for a serious ass beating. Someone has got to start putting the fear of god in these kids. So if we are playing the blame game here I blame the gov for not allowing us to beat our kids to dust for being little assholes.

parents shouldnt' wait until there kids are in high school to discipline them. if you have to bust their ass when they are 17, what were you doing the last 17 years? if you raised them right, there shouldn't be much of a problem.

parents shouldnt' wait until there kids are in high school to discipline them. if you have to bust their ass when they are 17, what were you doing the last 17 years? if you raised them right, there shouldn't be much of a problem.

Listen every kid needs a beaten every once in a while. My parents got them, I did and 90% of my friends did too. Now a days 2 open hand slaps on the rear end is all you can do and if it leaves a red mark your ass is in front of a judge the next day.

Go sit in time out, no tv, take there phone away or play station. That is Supposed to be a reminder to kids to day to do what you are told and not to act like a spoiled little shit. Just like when those 3 punks walked in front of my bike a couple of months ago. Poor up bringing or bad parenting what ever you want to call it. These kids have no fear of anyone or anything. And I still don't feel bad for the ass beaten I gave them. If they had gotten beatings like that growing up they would have been a little more respectful to other people and there belongings. And maybe just maybe they would have a little more respect for themselves and try a little hard to do better in life and succede.

I had seen a show on a school system in europe. They had a great idea on how to get better educations for their children. The tax dollars for the school were attached to the children. Where the kids went, the money went. The parents had their choice of what school the children went to. The good schools got more money and could do more, the bad schools got less money and essentially went out of business.

I had seen a show on a school system in europe. They had a great idea on how to get better educations for their children. The tax dollars for the school were attached to the children. Where the kids went, the money went. The parents had their choice of what school the children went to. The good schools got more money and could do more, the bad schools got less money and essentially went out of business.

That's basically how it works here. I mean obviously property taxes pay for a part of the school system budgets, but in MI the state pays the schools per pupil as well from the state budget. That's why the districts nearest to Detroit have open enrollments. They figure the parents that care enough will send their kids ANYWHERE except the public schools in the city, and the only condition is the parents have to get them to school. No busing or anything.

And just my opinion to the OP's thoughts, coming from someone who's grandmother was an elementary teacher. She made 60+ grand 20 years ago teaching 3rd grade. Plus fully paid benefits, pension, etc. With a Masters degree in the district I grew up in, teachers were making 100+. I don't see how teachers can expect any more than that for 9 months or so a year.

That's basically how it works here. I mean obviously property taxes pay for a part of the school system budgets, but in MI the state pays the schools per pupil as well from the state budget. That's why the districts nearest to Detroit have open enrollments. They figure the parents that care enough will send their kids ANYWHERE except the public schools in the city, and the only condition is the parents have to get them to school. No busing or anything.

And just my opinion to the OP's thoughts, coming from someone who's grandmother was an elementary teacher. She made 60+ grand 20 years ago teaching 3rd grade. Plus fully paid benefits, pension, etc. With a Masters degree in the district I grew up in, teachers were making 100+. I don't see how teachers can expect any more than that for 9 months or so a year.

In all reality it is 6 months - do the math. Most contracts are a 180 day contract. But what everyone has to remember is that most teachers spend more time outside of school at night on weekends during summer that what they get credit for. I probably put in 60 hours a week by the time it is said and done plus I am taking at least one class a summer to keep my certification/work towards a masters degree. It really all comes out in the wash in terms of salary. You can ask any of my friends I never bitch about my pay due to the fact I see it as what it is. I am being paid to work half of a year in terms of actual days I am at school. That is why I work construction or other things during the summer.

In all reality it is 6 months - do the math. Most contracts are a 180 day contract. But what everyone has to remember is that most teachers spend more time outside of school at night on weekends during summer that what they get credit for. I probably put in 60 hours a week by the time it is said and done plus I am taking at least one class a summer to keep my certification/work towards a masters degree. It really all comes out in the wash in terms of salary. You can ask any of my friends I never bitch about my pay due to the fact I see it as what it is. I am being paid to work half of a year in terms of actual days I am at school. That is why I work construction or other things during the summer.

My thinking was August-June. So approximately 9 months. I understand with holiday vacations and stuff it is less. I also understand teachers do put in work outside of the classroom. In no way was I trying to be critical of teachers in general. It takes a certain type of personality to put up with the BS of dealing with other peoples kids. I for one could never do it.

I also know some teachers do put in the maximum effort, while others sadly do the bare minimum. I think this is especially true of high school teachers. Part of that is probably due to the fact a fairly high percentage of teenagers just don't give a shit.

Back