Car Buying and Haggling

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i know there are diesels here... i was more referring to the fact that damn near every manufacturer (Honda, Subaru, Toyota, Mazda, Mini, Ford, etc) makes and sells diesel powered compact and mid-sized cars all over the world but wont bring them here (mostly due to our emissions laws being a pain in the dick and the piss injection systems we require being expensive)
i currently have a VW Golf TDi... its great and i love it... when it comes time to replace it, it will most likely be replaced with a newer Golf TDi... or if i need more space possibly with a A3 wagon TDi
the Jettas are ok, the sport wagon is FAR nicer than the sedan, it feels tighter/lighter and drives better, but the Passat drives better than either of the Jettas... i was driving dealer swaps for a while for a VW dealer for the last few years so ive got a few thousand miles of test driving in pretty much everything they have other than the R32
the BMWs are nice but not nice enough to give up 10-15mpg+
Benz has never done anything for me... im just not a fan of their styling overall
Chevy Cruze... LMFAO... just no
Jeep, Ram, Chevy/GMC, Ford, etc... i have no use for a truck

i know there are diesels here... i was more referring to the fact that damn near every manufacturer (Honda, Subaru, Toyota, Mazda, Mini, Ford, etc) makes and sells diesel powered compact and mid-sized cars all over the world but wont bring them here (mostly due to our emissions laws being a pain in the dick and the piss injection systems we require being expensive)
i currently have a VW Golf TDi... its great and i love it... when it comes time to replace it, it will most likely be replaced with a newer Golf TDi... or if i need more space possibly with a A3 wagon TDi
the Jettas are ok, the sport wagon is FAR nicer than the sedan, it feels tighter/lighter and drives better, but the Passat drives better than either of the Jettas... i was driving dealer swaps for a while for a VW dealer for the last few years so ive got a few thousand miles of test driving in pretty much everything they have other than the R32
the BMWs are nice but not nice enough to give up 10-15mpg+
Benz has never done anything for me... im just not a fan of their styling overall
Chevy Cruze... LMFAO... just no
Jeep, Ram, Chevy/GMC, Ford, etc... i have no use for a truck

The BMW 328D gives up 10-15 MPG to a Golf TDI? WTF kind of MPG are you getting lol. 50? My best friend(the Hartford Cop) has the 2012 Jetta TDI with twice the highway commute I have and he only gets 36MPG. I drive like an idiot in my 2014 BMW 328D xDrive, it's chipped, I drive in sport mode and I still manage 35MPG and it's AWD. Plus I barely drive it, and never long distances. I only have 7800 miles on it and its over a year old now.

Their are people getting 44/43MPG with the NON AWD BMW 328D. Check out fuelly.com. The average is 39MPG

I think you are under estimating the BMW Diesel.

saw these last week in europe. well fuck me sideways if this isn't a gorgeous car. the Audi A1

Audi-A1-In-Pakistan.jpg

It's nice but it just looks like the 2012ish era A3 Sportback that got squished

48e8e16d52c6e766e455e58c53929094x.jpg

It's nice but it just looks like the 2012ish era A3 Sportback that got squished

48e8e16d52c6e766e455e58c53929094x.jpg

Not a lot you can do about the similarities within a car model. People think, "hey, i want an A3 only smaller with better MPG". so audi makes one smaller with better mpg.

and after driving in europe last week, a smaller car is vital to driving...driving absolutely anywhere.

Not a lot you can do about the similarities within a car model. People think, "hey, i want an A3 only smaller with better MPG". so audi makes one smaller with better mpg..

this is exactly how the veloster was born . folks like the accent, but wanted more power and features.... but did not want the bigger elantra. so they built the veloster :) folks don't realize the chassis for these 3 (as well as the koup/forte) are nearly identical.

The BMW 328D gives up 10-15 MPG to a Golf TDI? WTF kind of MPG are you getting lol. 50?

actually yes... i have gotten a new TDi Golf to average 50mpg on a mixed highway/back road drive from New Milford to Greenwich... these are brand new not yet broken in cars so the mpg should only get better... but pretty much every one of them averaged 45 or better... i have seen a few customer cars that were showing avg mpg readings in the 52-54 range but i dont know how they drive
since 6/2013 my mk4 Golf TDi's average is 43.5mpg with a short commute over federal hill (in the summer i am generally averaging 45+ in the winter that average drops to 40ish)... on tanks where i do a lot of longer distance drives or on longer trips i am usually up around 50mpg avg

i will agree that i may be underestimating the BMW though, i have not yet spent enough time with one to get a full idea of what it can do

actually yes... i have gotten a new TDi Golf to average 50mpg on a mixed highway/back road drive from New Milford to Greenwich... these are brand new not yet broken in cars so the mpg should only get better... but pretty much every one of them averaged 45 or better... i have seen a few customer cars that were showing avg mpg readings in the 52-54 range but i dont know how they drive
since 6/2013 my mk4 Golf TDi's average is 43.5mpg with a short commute over federal hill (in the summer i am generally averaging 45+ in the winter that average drops to 40ish)... on tanks where i do a lot of longer distance drives or on longer trips i am usually up around 50mpg avg

i will agree that i may be underestimating the BMW though, i have not yet spent enough time with one to get a full idea of what it can do

52-54MPG lol, that's pretty freaking good. On fuelly.com the average 2015 MPG for the Golf TDI is 42 and the BMW is 39. So in real world "average" terms, people would only be giving up 3mpg but of course you'd pay a lot more for the BMW and you would be stuck with RWD. Unless you opted for the AWD in which case the average is about 37, so they'd be giving up roughly 6MPG but gaining AWD.

Being in CT/New England area, i'll stick to my AWD cars.

Now that I have a longer commute to work, im hoping to see my MPG's climb back up to that 37ish mark.

E are you Bristol? You mentioned Federal Hill..

oops

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/volkswagen-charged-with-hacking-482000-diesels-to-129357726737.html

Back