clear coat very dull

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

calmfornow

System Failure Racing
i just painted my 92 accord and the color turned out pretty decent but im not getting a decent shine out of the clear coat, i see minor shine but nothing all that good, it looks really dull, i used the duplicolor clear coat. i would love to have this thing look nice but it just is bugging me and i dont know what to do, the temp was pretty hot it was around 92 degrees out but we were under a tent to keep it a tiny bit cooler...any help would be great....thanks

Clearcoats

I'm not a pro painter by any means, so take it all with a grain of salt...

The only clear I have ever shot was House of Kolor Klear, the regular clear not the flow coat if you want to get technical. I had wet sanded the final clear down with 1200 paper (by hand not machine). After that I used a cutting compound and a buffing wheel, followed on by wax. I would post a pic but I recently repainted the car white. I intend to clear it again this weekend, so I'll try and get a pic for you.

That said, House of Kolor is some top end shit, and it may well look better than duplicote. The real secret is sticking with the same brand the whole way through. Paint is not paint, and each manufacturer makes their own stuff in their own way. Mix brands at your own risk...

yea.. 2000 grit should be fine.. remember to sand in one direction only.. dont swirl or cross-hatch your sanding

Back