Considering this TV: Samsung 63" plasma pn63c8000

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16

Super Moderator
VIP
Any videophiles here? Considering buying this TV to replace my old 1080i Pioneer plasma. I'm open to an LED-LCD/Plasma debate. I mainly watch movies with the lights off; don't have much of a sunlight problem in the room. Nor, do I need to worry about extreme viewing angles. I do need a large TV since we sit 15' away from the TV and have a large wall to mount on.

PDP8000_L30_3.jpg

Samsung PN63C8000 Review - Flat-panel TVs - CNET Reviews

No projector because the TV must mount to the wall; it is over a fireplace. The layout of the room really does not allow us to move the couch forward aesthetically...

I love samsung electronics, i have a 42" plasma myself and just bought a Samsung over the range microwave. The only downfall is that that thing is $3000, in 6 months it will be half that price. I would wait another 6 months or so until the price comes down else your going to kick your self in the ass. If your current TV works fine, i wouldn't replace it, unless money is no concern then i would rock that 63incher

What are you using for Surround Sound?

Last edited:
My only complaint on the 3 Samsung TV's we have in the house ( 2 LCD, 1 LED) is the sound they produce and where the speakers are. They don't have all that great of sound but if you are using a home theater setup then you'll be okay. I have the 42'' LED 3D TV and I absolutely love the picture quality, miniscule to zero motion blur when watching football or playing video games, and the picture quality is outstanding.

Me and my friend got into a debate over plasma v. LED and I went to Bestbuy yesterday to compare the two since I really haven't ever looked at plasma TV's before. I'd say in your situation that Plasma might be a little cheaper but I wouldn't rule out the LED side of things. I guess I just like the brighter clearer picture than the Plasma produces, but that's just me.

Me and my friend got into a debate over plasma v. LED and I went to Bestbuy yesterday to compare the two since I really haven't ever looked at plasma TV's before. I'd say in your situation that Plasma might be a little cheaper but I wouldn't rule out the LED side of things. I guess I just like the brighter clearer picture than the Plasma produces, but that's just me.

Problem is you can't compare TV's in Best Buy, or really many other "showrooms", they are notorious for cranking up contrast and other settings to offset the environment, few of them are actually set up correctly for the rooms they are in. Plasmas especially since they need time for the phosphors to age, and then they should be calibrated again.

Samsung makes great LCD's but have heard their Plasma's ain't all that. I have been told that Panasonic makes a good, affordable plasma. Just my $0.02

If you're room is relatively dark, plasma is a good choice based on price and contrast ratio

My buddy just bought the 55" series 6 LED samsung last weekend. It has the exact same frame and bezel as that plasma but is a bit thinner I believe. It's not as large, and he only paid 1500 at costco. At that, you might be able to find a larger LED LCD for cheaper than that plasma and have better colors and motion.

I love samsung electronics, i have a 42" plasma myself and just bought a Samsung over the range microwave. The only downfall is that that thing is $3000, in 6 months it will be half that price. I would wait another 6 months or so until the price comes down else your going to kick your self in the ass. If your current TV works fine, i wouldn't replace it, unless money is no concern then i would rock that 63incher

What are you using for Surround Sound?
Ya, I don't mind waiting if the price is really going to drop on this thing. I'm really in no hurry to replace the TV. I was just at my father in law's house and loved the picture on his Sony LCD. So the only thing driving me sooner than later is just so I can start enjoying it now. :)

For surround I've got an older Denon with Monitor Audio cabinet speakers with a Klipsh center and 12" sub. So I don't care at all for the sound quality of the set; it will be used solely as a monitor.

I forgot about Costco; I should go check them out.

Any other opinions out there for higher end Plasma's?

92b16vx,
I totally agree with you. I went to look at this Sharp LCD because the price was so good on it; looked like shit at best buy. Additionally they don't know anything about adjusting the TV. It looked totally white washed out. Sucks because I really want to compare the TV's and feel like there is no place to do that. :(

Panasonic admits plasma TV black level change but says picture ...

I've been considering a Plasma purchase as well, and this caught my eye recently while I was reading reviews.

I know one of the issues with plasmas is that you will see a decrease in black levels over time, but I read another article somewhere saying the 2009-10 Panasonics seemed to have a faster degradation than what is considered normal.

From what I understand though; no LCD can match the black levels of Plasma..

The only issue i would be concerned with is that thing is going to SUCK power like you read about. plasmas are uber power thirsty.

aren't big tv's ilelgal in cali anyway?

I currently have a 50" plasma (old 1080i one); so I'm used to its power consumption. I have been reading that this particular TV sometimes has a loud buzzing.. :\

Big TV's are not illegal in Cali... lmao.

Pulled the trigger on a TV.

P65VT30 65" plasma. Digging this TV!

panasonic_viera_tc_p65vt30.jpg

Back