d15b2 non vtec in 89 crx si

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Khato

This may not be a swap problem but a simple electrical problem. My first post so please go easy if im in the wrong spot. & thank you in advance.

I just swapped my old (but strong) D15B2 non vtec that came from a 91 CRX DX model with DPFI into my 89 CRX si. (I did swap intake manifolds)

I reconnected all connectors accordingly including a brand new distributor & Alternator to the D15B2 and my Tach doesn't work and there is some type of surge/Electrical issue. When i test drove it yesterday after the swap, i had the headlights on and it ran fine until i put a decent load on the engine, hit the brakes, decelerated , or switch to high-beams - the dash-lights and headlights dimmed and the car almost shut off (Also instrument cluster went haywire - gas / temp went crazy along with all lights besides CEL went on) . I checked all grounds and wiring and it all seems to check out.

Now could it be that i installed a d15b2 Alternator?
The distributor is for a d16a6.
Car has a unmolested D16a6 wiring harness.

Any suggestions/input/idea/ ANYTHING! please let me know.

Also when i had the highbeams on and i turned the key to off & removed it the car stayed on... could it be an ignition problem?

Back