Didn't pass smog. Fix or sell? 92 Civic Si Hatch with B18A1.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

excivic92SI

92 Civic Si Hatch with 92 Integra B18A1.

It did not pass a test-only smog. My emission results are below. The state will give me 1500 for it and I'll go buy a new car, which I really don't want to do. Either that or I have to fix it with a new catalytic converter, spark plugs, fuel filter, etc. I will have a mechanic do it for it, because I wouldn't know what I'm doing. Other problems: There's a knocking noise on the front left wheel when accelerating, gears get stuck (ie, can't get out of 5th without slightly tapping the gas with clutch down first), it grinds on third gear when switching > 2K RPM, and a small coolant leak.

Do you guys think a new catalytic converter will be the main thing that fixes the smog issue? I don't want to spend money to 'fix' this only to have the car not pass again.

Or how much could I get for it if I sell it to say, someone on Craigslist or an EG/EH enthusiast? It averages 39 MPG.

Thanks everyone.

Zga5U.jpg

High NOx is caused by high combustion temps

Could be running lean... Clogged injectors or filter?
Could be a vacuum leak
Could just be too low octane fuel
Could be that the cat wasnt at propper operating temp

i just failed not long ago on the same test.. i applied for the repair assistance.. they told me i needed a new o2 sensor and a new coolant temp sensor

i just failed not long ago on the same test.. i applied for the repair assistance.. they told me i needed a new o2 sensor and a new coolant temp sensor

The BAR website says they're not accepting applications until July. Also, it's now based on income elegibility. sigh

High NOx is caused by high combustion temps

Could be running lean... Clogged injectors or filter?
Could be a vacuum leak
Could just be too low octane fuel
Could be that the cat wasnt at propper operating temp

Great suggestions. Other any suggestions before I hit up a mechanic?

Back