DSL or cable....Satelite or Cable...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Airjockie

Watanabe Whore!!!
Rest In Peace
Since I'm moving...I'm also getting the choice to get a real tv system...IE...cable or sat....

I've had cable and digital cable before...but that was in FL, and the price killed me. Right now I only have rabbit ears for TV...and it sucks.

Plus I've been a DSL user for the last....5 years...I enjoy it, and it's fairly fast...but people mention cable is faster...so I'm clueless in that department.

So here's the question......

a certain phone company has this deal for telephone/dish/DSL...for a decent price...

But also the local cable company has telephone(no long distance plans)/cable/cable internet......and the price is a tad bit more.

I can handle the prices now....but what system should I look into for a better life.

Cable TV is constantly good...satelites fuzz out during weather storms..
Cable internet is fast, but when every one turns on their tv...it bogs down....DSL is just fast...but not as fast as cable....

cable...sat?
cable...DSL?

If your looking to go HDTV go cable, there is the Dish's dont carry local Hd, so you will still have to rabitt ear that. As for internet ive had cable and dsl. In my area cable is much faster.

In my area, Cable > DSL hands-down. 3megabit down, 256k up for 39.99/month. Even if it was more money, I would probably go Cable.

If the question is between DSL and cable, you should take a look at how populated your area is and what kind of money goes through that area. I've had cable interent in many different states and it has been amazingly fast in, for example, North Carolina compared to DSL available. While i've also had cable net in chicago and its slowww compared to the constant DSL (friend had DSL to compare with).

That's just from my experience.

cable all the way dude. i had dsl. when i went to cable, my average speed quadrippled. tv's really don't play a part in the speed from what i can tell. with me, my dad, my tv, and my moms tv all on at the same time, i bet it would smok your current DSL connection.

comcast (if thats what you have there) has some nice hdtv options as well... but i don't think you have an hd tv anyway, so it doesn't really matter much.

satelite is a pain in the ass. too much equipment, no real selection for local stations.

Comcast HDTV is crap. If it was more than 5 a month, I wouldn't pay for it. I have 8 HD channels, and they work RARELY. Everytime I try to watch a football game or movie, it fucks up. It's like it works from 9-5 M-F--their office hours.

Cable> DSL, had both, DSL was way slower.

we have high speed wireless from a local cell phone company its cool

I lived right down the street from were you bought your house. I had

Cox Cable(regular old cable)/Cable Modem/Cox Phone serrvice (instate out of state $.07min caller ID/call waiting all that BS) total bill was $102 per month , if you don't use cox for all three services the Cable Modem service is $10 more a month.

Other than the lack of international phone service plans Cox is like 5-10 times cheaper than using SBC for phone service.

oh and I never had a connection slower than 1.8Mbps ever. I have to say the average was more like 2.3Mbps. great speed and TV's on the line do not cause any problems, just like a phone doesn't slow down DSL

hrmmmm....Cox ehh...I got a phone call from them this morning....and I hung up on them.....Dohhhh

So I guess...Cable it is...

And I just had SBC call me this morning and to keep the phone plan on the house...to just move it...and change the number..Dohhh..

Gawd the shit to go thru on buying and setting up a house....

Phone...
Cable...
Internet...
Gas...
Water...
Sewer...
Insurance...
Title...
all the other Bullshit involved....

on the good news...I got half of the living room packed up.....but thats not saying much since its only like 6 boxed of vids and games....

Talk about freaky..... :blink:

As soon as I posted this last post...I just got another call from Cox...

I'll go ahead and get their digi-cable TV plan, with a spare normal TV hook-up...The high speed cable internet, and the phone with free local calls, and $0.07 per minute calls to Japan for a rate of $3.95 a month....

And the first quate they gave me is $112.......and that's a hell of a lot better than what we pay now for the shit....

right now...Netplex DSL at $69 a month and SBC phone for $60-80 a month....and no cable or sat TV....I feel used and hosed at the same time.

with all that savings.....and extra shit added on.....I'm impressed...but I won't believe it till I see it.

Originally posted by Airjockie@Nov 22 2004, 01:54 PM

Gawd the shit to go thru on buying and setting up a house....

Phone...
Cable...
Internet...
Gas...
Water...
Sewer...
Insurance...
Title...
all the other Bullshit involved....

[post=420548]Quoted post[/post]​

You forgot garbage.... :p

We have Dish Network, and SBC DSL. SBC DSL is 3megabit down, and 384kb up. Not bad at all in my book, we are paying $36.95 a month for DSL, and about $60 a month for satilite, but that is because of HBO and skinamax. Plus all our household bills are split 4 ways so it is all super cheap.

Score..... :p

the first and 3rd month is only $80......

and the first month has free HBO......

Free installation and components.....

Hooked up on Dec 2...and the move party is Dec 4th...

This move and the house is going to rock..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

you know my feelings about DSL.

everyone and their mother has cable around here. say hellooo to slow.

ill never give up my DSL.

Back