E10 bad for engines?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

awptickes

unimpressed by you
VIP
Has anyone noticed anything wierd recently with their car in regards to the manditory 10% ethanol content in gasoline? The mandate was across the USA, and most of Europe as well.

My fuel economy went from about 6.7l/100km (35 mpg) to 8.5l/km (27 mpg) after the switch. That's a lot of fuel being wasted. Here in Germany, they introduced the manditory E10 blend at the begining of the year, and I've seen a ton of horrible effects. I've even had to put the factory intake back on to try to reclaim some of the FE I'm now missing. My biggest problem is that the engine my car has isn't designed to run on the E10 blend, and I know it's messing with the power-curve.

Anyone else having any major problems?

cant you stop using it? i mean arent there any gas stations that still sell regular gas?

i thought you couldnt put Ethanol blend on a regular car. I thought the compression had to be lower to be able to benifit from the E-10. Drop in MPG is definitly gonna hurt the economy more. If in fast its true.

doesnt make sense. Use MORE gas which means waastemore money which also means supply demand will me increased as well.

the only good thing is that it will produce less toxins in the air..............right. Go thell all the drag racers and Nascar drivers to run Ethanol.

according to this:
Gasoline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ethanol

In the United States, ethanol is sometimes added to gasoline but sold without an indication that it is a component. Chevron, 76, Shell, and several other brands market ethanol-gasoline blends.[citation needed]
In several states, ethanol is added by law to a minimum level which is currently 5.9%. Most fuel pumps display a sticker stating that the fuel may contain up to 10% ethanol, an intentional disparity which allows the minimum level to be raised over time without requiring modification of the literature/labeling. The bill which was being debated at the time the disclosure of the presence of ethanol in the fuel was mandated has recently passed. This law (Energy Bill 2005) will require all auto fuel to contain at least 10% ethanol. Many call this fuel mix gasohol.

we've had it for 3 years now. i've never noticed a difference

Ya usually says right on the pumps. At shell regular gas has up to 10% ethanol, silver has up to 5% and premium (which i use anyway) has none. I dont know if canadian gas standards are different.

Ive never even thought about the effects of ethanol. So far its just a word to me.

Back