easy question on wiring harness (87 CRX-Si)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

trailmeister

On my 87 CRX-Si I'm replacing the 91hp stock engine with a ZC, a D16A1 from an 87 Integra (113hp).

I've been reading through hondaswap.com for pointers.

pissedoffsol says, "Swaping the 1st gen ZC: Remember, the OEM wiring harnesses should be used with its own engine to make the swap easier and cleaner." This tells me I should use the wiring harness from an Integra.

In another post, pissedoffsol says, "ACTUAL SWAP INFO: Use the 1st Gen CRX Si's wiring harness. Plugs right into the 87 Integra sensors, injectors, & distributor." This tells me I should use the wiring harness from my CRX.

I'm not a mechanic and I don't tinker with my car on the weekends. :mellow: Today I learned what ECU stands for.

My professional mechanic who will perform the swap, is an all-business, get-it-done kind of guy who doesn't want to deal with the headaches of petty bull$#!+ like a wiring harness that doesn't work or doesn't hook up properly, etc. He also doesn't want to spend hours doing research on the web or posting questions. I can understand that, he's trying to make a living.

Is there anyone out there who has done this swap and can tell me definitively, one way or the other, which wiring harness to use?

Thanks!!

trailmeister
Mill Valley, Calif

we have done this swap a couple of times - use the CRX wiring harness

BTW - the D16A1 is not a ZC - similar, but not the same

Last edited:
Thanks jlicrx for your reply, much appreciated.

It looks like you're the man we're looking for. Ok to tap your brain? :sp_ike:
-- about engine mounts.

In the archives, pissedoffsol says, "To bolt the 1st gen ZC engine into a 1st Gen CRX, the following mounts will be needed. First, the passenger side mount and rear mount from the ZC/Integra should be used while the driver’s side mount and bracket need to be used from the Civic/CRX."

But farther down the page he says, "Engine Mounts (total of 3 mounts on 84-87 Civic/CRX's): Use the stock Civic/CRX mounts on the rear cross member & front timing-belt side. Use an 86-89 Integra tranny mount for the tranny. The Civic/CRX tranny mount will make the motor sit crooked if you use it, so don't."

Maybe I'm misreading this and it isn't a contradiction.

I won't be replacing my CRX tranny unless you say it's a really good idea.

Can you tell me which engine mounts to use?

Thanks,
trailmeister

use the CRX mount on the driver's side with the Integra bracket on the block - use the Integra mounts on the transmission

you cannot use the CRX transmission with the D16A1 - completely different attaching bolt patterns - you need to use following from the Integra:

transmission, intermediate axle shaft, axles, knuckles/hubs and shift linkage

my dual cam zc 1st gen uses a gen 3 zc, custom front motor mount, and cg trans, cg front and rear mounts (directly bolt up) and 89 integra axles, using a butchered 89 teg engine harness

Good to know! Thanks jilcrx once again; I'm glad you're here. Not sure what I'm getting into. I'm already looking at upwards of $4K for this swap (roughly 2500 for rebuilt engine after tax & core etc, 1500 for my mechanic's labor). Can you tell me where I might look for an Integra transmission and how much I could expect to pay?
Thanks dilbeckskate, I wonder if following in your footsteps is even an option. I'm ashamed to admit I don't know what cg stands for.
Thank you also, DarkHand, I'll check out Red Pepper Racing.
I'd be lost without you helpful folks on this website.

Good to know! Thanks jilcrx once again; I'm glad you're here. Not sure what I'm getting into. I'm already looking at upwards of $4K for this swap (roughly 2500 for rebuilt engine after tax & core etc, 1500 for my mechanic's labor). Can you tell me where I might look for an Integra transmission and how much I could expect to pay?
junk yards - probably $100-$200 - would be best to find an complete Integra since you are going to need, in addition to the transmission, the front knuckles/hubs, intermediate axle shaft, axles and shift linkage anyway - probably wouldn't cost any more than a transmission if you could find one that is wrecked or needs an engine
I'm ashamed to admit I don't know what cg stands for.
CG is the model designation for the 1st gen Integra transmission

Thanks again, jlicrx.

I must now decide whether to go with the D16A1, or just a replacement stock engine.

Let me ask you this. I once got a maximum of 52 mpg with my CRX despite the modified cam in its last rebuild 19 years ago. If I'm not leadfooting it, I typically get 42-44 mpg on I-5 between SF and LA. I do like the good mileage on the stock engine but would prefer just a bit more power. I'm thinking of going with the D16A1 because it's only a modest increase in power (~20 hp) and should still get decent mileage. My question is, approximately how much of mileage hit do you think I'll take by going with the Integra engine? 5, 10, 15 mpg less on the highway?

Thank you, I'm glad you're there. Wish you were here though.

My question is, approximately how much of mileage hit do you think I'll take by going with the Integra engine? 5, 10, 15 mpg less on the highway?
between 5 and 10, probably closer to 5

Back