Excellent News, My Dudes!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BrutalB83

Brutal Moderator
VIP
I'm gonna be getting blown shortly!!! 😆😆😆

Attachments

• 20230718_215714.jpg
    20230718_215714.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 20230718_215732.jpg
    20230718_215732.jpg
    569.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 20230718_215749.jpg
    20230718_215749.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 64
20230921_184148.jpg

Welp, I got the blower in and the car runs. Needs a bit of troubleshooting, though. The idle is wandering around between 1 and 1.5k, and unfortunately this pulley that was included with the blower only makes 3.5 lbs of boost, so it's honestly pretty worthless. Dyno only showed about a 30hp bump over my N/A bolt-on setup. I need to get a different pulley and try again. I'm also looking into rerouting options for the throttle, cruise control, and A/C lines to clean things up a bit. Might relocate the battery and get a different intake also.

Idle hunt could be a vacuum leak?

Get some high concentrated dish soap and water in a bottle and check.

Can’t help you with all the other stuff. Looks great in the bay.

Idle hunt could be a vacuum leak?

Get some high concentrated dish soap and water in a bottle and check.

Can’t help you with all the other stuff. Looks great in the bay.

Yep, I was planning on doing that this weekend (checking for a vacuum leak).

Yeah, it added just enough power to where I can feel the potential, and the sound is addicting. Should be a good time once I figure out exactly what I need to do to get some more boost going.

I did notice that my belt doesn't seem to be routed in the recommended way. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

belt route could matter for belt longevity, but i don't think it would make more boost because it's routed wrong -- unless you change the 'gearing' somehow like on a bike, bigger up front or lower in the back for more speed per rpm.

back in the day (90s hondas) a surging idle could be FITV or low coolant, not sure if that applies on your model.

What are you using for management?
How many miles on the motor?
How aggressive of a pulley will you go with next?
(stock internals with 11.0:1 compression?)

belt route could matter for belt longevity, but i don't think it would make more boost because it's routed wrong -- unless you change the 'gearing' somehow like on a bike, bigger up front or lower in the back for more speed per rpm.

Yeah, that's what I figured, thanks. I know you can spin the blower faster with a change of pullies and that ideally you want to route to get the most amount of grip on the pullies to avoid belt slippage.

Still trying to diagnose the poor idle. I'm thinking it may be as simple as this:

20230924_171205.jpg

2 open vacuum ports there. That's the idle air assist valve. The hose going up routed back to the intake manifold, but there's no port for it on the blower manifold. And the port pointing right went to the intake tube, but I've got a different hose from a port on the blower manifold going to that now.

I ordered an IIAV delete kit (basically just a plug that threads in), so hopefully that will resolve it.

back in the day (90s hondas) a surging idle could be FITV or low coolant, not sure if that applies on your model.

What are you using for management?
How many miles on the motor?
How aggressive of a pulley will you go with next?
(stock internals with 11.0:1 compression?)

For management, I have KTuner, which apparently sucks compared to KPro, according to the tuner.

The problem is that Hondata's system for the RSX is built around the 02-04 ECU, so for 05-06 like me, it winds up being a lot more expensive because you have to source an 02-04 ECU, buy their conversion harness, and also swap to the VSS from 02-04, all on top of the cost of KPro. I went with KTuner because it's made for the 05-06 ECU.

80k miles on the motor, and yes, it's all stock.

The pulley I have now is the 3.4" option. Looks like they also offer 3.2, 3.0, and 2.8" options.

I'd probably go for the 3" option. Anything beyond that and I'm going to need to invest in an aftercooler system.

There's nothing wrong with KTuner. It may not be a flagship product, but it works fine. The tuner just isn't used to it most likely. If it was crap, phearable wouldn't be using it to make crazy numbers on these 1.5T's

There's nothing wrong with KTuner. It may not be a flagship product, but it works fine. The tuner just isn't used to it most likely. If it was crap, phearable wouldn't be using it to make crazy numbers on these 1.5T's

Well, I think the newer turbo cars use the Ktuner Flash systems. Maybe the options on those are more robust and user friendly? The flash devices can't be plugged in to my car, unfortunately. You have to solder a chip to the board, download the end user application, and tune with a laptop.

Back