Exhaust rattle at certain rpms

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Supersereal

Hey all, I'm having a weird high pitch exhaust rattle at certain rpms (approximately from 2700-3200 and 3900-4200). I have a 95 civic Si (Canadian model, which is same thing as the ex in the U.S).

I swapped a b18 (gsr) engine in 2 months ago and had no issues with the stock exhaust. I recently put on full 2.5 inche custom exhaust with a vibrant performance muffler (not a fart can, looks more like a stock muffler but with a slightly bigger tip) with no cat or resonator.

I noticed this rattle the second i drove it after getting the exhaust done. So I replaced the muffler with a new, but same style muffler. Still the rattle. Removed all heat shields around the exhaust. Still the noise. I also check all hangers and wiggled my exhaust and didn't hear the noise. It only happens while at those certain rpms.

Help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

you'll help remove the resonance by atleast adding a RESONATOR at the least.

im running 2.5in with a 28in long resonator, no cat, and a 3g eclipse muffler... i still have a small bit of resonance but its nowhere near as bad as what it was without that.

hes not running a cat and he removed all the heat shields.

I was thinking of puttin a resonator back in, but inbetween the rattle it sounds great. Nice and low raspy pitch, not rivet at all. So a resonator may not be the way to go as it will quite it down and I may not like the sound.

I was told maybe a higher quality muffler would do the trick, any suggestions?

I'm running a good Magnaflow muffler on my B16A and its raspy/tinny/rattly like you describe at the same RPMs.

i have a rattle on my lancer with custom exhaust. i have to buy new exhaust for it to get rid of the rattle.

on my hatch i had a rattle with my crappy ebay exhaust. when i bought the Megan exhaust for my car it got rid of the rattle at 2000rpm's and it stopped rattling against the gas tank. did you check all the clearances on the car?

Yea all clearances are fine, just how Honda exhaust is I supose. Seems the only solution is a resonator. Is there a particular resonator I should be lookin at? Or anything will do?

Back