Fix my EJ1 GSR swap, win a prize! I pay for shipping

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essenar

All I want for Christmas is for my GSR swap project that's spanned over 6 months of discouragement, head banging and funds being dried up to run right. With what I have in store, I'm sure you'll want my project to run too.

The lowdown - About 6 months ago I started fishing for a project idea that would give me a reliable car, good gas milage that had some power to it. Sadly, the car not coming to life has left me with none of those three options and has also resulted in me having to take Fall semester off from not having a means of transportation to move to Nor-Cal with.

Hopefully, whatever items I have left over can be enough bribery to get someone else to figure out what's wrong and help me get this car on the road.

Car : 1993 Civic EX 2-door Coupe, 5-speed
Powerplant : 1995 Integra GSR Block paired with a 1999 GSR head + transmission. 1993 Civic EX Wire Harness soldered and modified to fit the GSR engine + swapped Fuel Injectors from an OBD1 EX engine to match the harness.
Parts missing : Intake Air Temperature sensor, Knock sensor, 02 sensor. I was told by more than three reputable sources that the car should start without these sensors hooked up, that it just wouldn't run as well.
ECU : OBD1 GSR 5-speed USDM ECU

Notes : Did most of the work myself. Had help from a few friends with pulling out the original EX motor, and pulling the GSR motor back out when I forgot to hook up the rear mount bracket. The few nags I came across were: The exhaust manifold didn't fit into the stock Civic exhaust piping. I busted the distributor cap with the chain I had hooked to the motor. I also lost most of the bolts and nuts to my brake system. I removed my brake system ignorantly not knowing you didn't have to remove the calipers in order to remove the axles. This was my first swap so I was a bit sloppy. I've also had to have the battery recharged at Autozone almost 6 times already from trying to start the motor at every maintenance checkpoint trying to cover up loose ends.

Typerman2001 (The person who sold me the motor) is willing to ship me out an Intake Air Temperature sensor but we've been so hit/miss with our communication over the past few months I don't even know if he still has the sensor anymore.

At one point, I thought maybe he sold me a bunk motor. The truth is, after hearing it crank but not turn over, I still believe it's an electrical problem because the motor sounds like it has good compression. I had a mechanic come by to take a look but I didn't really have any money to pay him for any work, so all I got was a look/glance. He said the motor sounds healthy and it wants to start but something is going wrong with spark/fuel matching.

I did the timing, TDC, matched the camgears. It was a major pain in the ass and I've actually had to do it a couple times already because for some reason everytime I look the timing is off again. The crank is virgin-tight, won't move even a slight fragment of a centimeter so I know the crank isn't screwed.

I'm really at my will's end, so I'm willing to give three items, all worth over 50$ to the first three people that can come up with workable solutions that get the motor started. I assure you, it's nothing simple. I know for a fact it's something that'll take a few hours to figure out, and I know the items I'm offering aren't exactly big grabs but they're definitely worth selling and I am just mostly looking for compassion and a generous mechanic that knows Honda engines like the back of his hand.

That being said, here's what's up for grabs:

1998-2001 Integra GSR Black 2-door REAR seats, leather, probably 95% condition, almost near perfect with one VERY small hole on an unseen part of the cushion.

1994-1997 Integra LS/GS Grey Leather 4-door Rear seats, probably 80-85% condition. Fits in EJ1's, also have the extra side cushions.

OBD2A (1999) Integra GSR 5-speed wire harness with every plug/sensor wire. The only problem with the harness is cracked fuel injector plugs, a very easy fix.

The harness is first place, 98-01 seats second place, 94-97 seats are third place. I will pay for shipping for whoever can help me.

Anyone in San Diego willing to drive to where I live, (El Centro) fix the problem, will get all three items + reimbursement for gas + food for the entire trip + a 6 pack of beer.

Image 1
-This is where you can see the fuel lines hooked up, also at the bottom of the page, harder to notice, is the thermostat ground.

z1xf4.jpg

Image 2
-Correct firing order, replaced distributor cap + new dizzy from Distributor Kings

z2gh0.jpg

Image 3
-Transmission housing ground

z3mh5.jpg

Image 4
-Valve cover ground + Power steering line blocked. You can see the plastic guard for the cam gears sticking out because of my urgency to see if the timing fixed would solve the problem. I'll most likely re-install the guard but for what reason really? I will most likely have to reset the timing again.

z4jn9.jpg

Image 5
-Closer shot of the cam gears visible through the open guard. You can see also that the white chalk mark on the cam gear isn't matched on the other side, or it may still be since the opposite cam might have it above the plastic. I'll recheck timing when I get a few people trying to figure out the problem.

z5fh9.jpg

Image 6
-The other side of the fuel line, just showing you every corner stone was met.

z6jo8.jpg

Image 7
-The harness hooked up on driver's side + the power steering cable hanging loose, will most likely ziptie it somewhere like I did the power steering fan line.

z7jv5.jpg

Image 8
-The 02 sensor plug, which I can't connect because I left my EX O2 sensor on the exhust manifold when I sold the motor and Typerman2001 didn't include the 02 sensor with the stock GSR manifold.

z8lo6.jpg

Image 9
-Replaced the terminal plugs with brand new ones, also cut off the corroded part of the power/negative lines. That's also a band new Duralast battery, which I've had to have recharged numerous times. (Without the engine running, it's impossible to recharge the battery myself)

z9wv2.jpg

Image 10
- Please help me get this car on the road guys! All I want for Christmas is to not feel like I wasted 7,000+ dollars on a project I might have to sell for less than half that initial investment because I can't get it on the road.

z10mo3.jpg

I know with Holidays coming up, most of you mechanics are busy but I really want to see this car on the road. I'm a grown ass man near tears with how unsuccessful this project has been. Dropping out of school, breaking up with my girl, moving back in with my mom and having my car not start on top of all that. I really don't feel like I can be any more of a loser at this point. Getting this car going... Will just be a fuckin' answer from a God I long ago forgot and hardly believe exists.

Pictures of the prizes available in short time.

Bump.
Feel bad for ya man, shitty luck. Sounds like a problem I had with my fourwheeler, haha, even though it probably has nothing to do with this. But could the valves possibly be messed up since it's a different head? My wheeler is a 4stroker and it would crank and crank, but the valves wern't sealing. Well anyways goodluck with everything, hope you can get it figured out.

you said that your timing marks kept changing. did you line up the crank, make sure you have a 22t water pump and make sure the cam gears are lined up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back