fun times refinishing furniture

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

invisibledemon

Bored
VIP
It's hard work being poor, but easier to afford things if you know how to do hard work.

have had a shitty round dinner table for the past few years and hated it, wife hated it too.
This weekend was the Mule Day celebration (yeah, our city actually celebrates what they call Mule Day) which means the main road turns into a gigantic yard sale. So, I stopped and bought an old solid wood rectangle table for $25. Our floors are stained a dark brown, the old table was dark brown, the recently bought table was dark brown. Found a set of chairs on CL for $40 that were, you guessed it, dark brown.

So, out came the sander, paint, and poly. stripped the table top and chair seats completely to bare wood and just sealed them. sanded and painted the chair base/backs and the table base a semi-gloss white. Painting went a lot smoother once I remembered that I had a little HVLP paint sprayer tucked away in the basement. I'm no good at brush painting. All in all, the project took about a day and a half, was slowed by having to buy a replacement sander bc the velcro pad on mine wouldnt hold the paper anymore. bought a cheap one from walmart to get the job done, and it sucked big time compared to the good one I have (ordering a new backing plate for it).

Before
20160402_161129.jpg

20160402_161137.jpg

I forgot to take pictures of the table assembled before starting
20160403_151220.jpg

Base:
20160403_151244.jpg

And after

20160404_161649.jpg

20160404_161702.jpg

Will edit from phone to add pics...

Last edited:
I'm too lazy to figure out how to rotate the pictures that turned sideways. Just tilt your head 90 degrees if its really important.

felt like yesterday was leg day. fucking legs and ass are sore from all the squatting while sanding and painting these things. the stairs at school have kicked my ass today. lol. im happy with how they came out, very happy with how much it brightens up the kitchen/dinging area. still have another shelf to dismantle and give the same treatment to, will be doing that in the next week or so. then we are going to repaint our shittastic cabinets to at least make them look a little better until we can replace them.

afters look great. thanks for sharing.

looks good. We purchased a lot of our furniture from auctions or tag sales. I like getting real wood furniture compared to the particle board or mdf stuff out there.

Those look great! I did my childhood dresser for my son's room right before he was born. It's pretty satisfying work that's for sure

Attachments

• 20140328_135018.jpg
    20140328_135018.jpg
    743.8 KB · Views: 213
  • 20140328_134830.jpg
    20140328_134830.jpg
    552.7 KB · Views: 188
spends hours refinisihing...
too lazy to adjust the pics :D

Looks great man.

There's a setting to auto-rotate images... but it requires an EXIF lib the server doesn't have installed on it...

someday when i'm not busy, i'll rebuild php with it enabled

Looks great man.

I have refinished a few pieces of furniture this last year and I find it highly satisfying as well. We got a couple end tables garagesaling, a broken coffee table from a discount bin at a store, etc and turned them into nice pieces. Looking for a buffet or something. The wife is into all that shabby chic bull shit so that's what we do. It's easy though and I get to hang in the garage, drink beer, play with tools, and listen to tunes for a couple weekends. I got a sweet slay bed I want to refinish medium gray/oak from the yellow oak from the 80's. I'm about 1 day off work from taking on the monster project.

Back