H22A wont start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BukxLude

I just swapped a H22A into my 95 prelude. Car doesn't start. The engine turns but will not start. I checked out the dizzy because I plugged up a spark tester to it and got no spark whatsoever. I tested the ignition coil and igniter and those tested good. I even replaced the cap, rotor, and spark plug wires. Which brings up another question. I ran into problems finding parts because i forgot to ask the guy who i bought the engine from what year the engine was. All I know is the engine is a JDM H22A V-TEC with a P-13 ECU. This one comes with a dizzy and internal coil. When looking for parts nothing matched that came up for 92-95 preludes. Can someone help me out? With why my car is not starting and how to identify what year my engine is. Thanks alot.

You can find the production year under the exhaust manifold on the block. Looks almost like two clock faces with arrows. One points to the month the other the year. As far as the dizzy goes i used the internal coil dizzy by modifying the wires to it. I dunno if thats what you did or used the external coil type. To modify it to internal all you have to do is splice the yellow/black and yellow wires together that run to the external coil. The blue wire is not used you can just insulate it and wrap it up.

I found the 2 "clock faces" one points to the letter "A" and the other to "8". The one pointing to the "8" has the number 94 in the middle. So... I'm assuming that the engine is a 94 H22A. As far as the dizzy. I got a dizzy from a 5th gen lude which has an OB2 connector and figured out which wires goes to where and connected them. Pretty easy. Car still doesn't start though. No spark. :(

So, I finally got spark from my dizzy. Seems there was a ground near my thermostat that I missed. Car seems like it wants to start when I crank it. Im told that I might have flooded my engine with fuel while trying to start my car. Any suggestions on getting rid of the fuel? When I pulled my spark plugs out, it was drenched with gas. Getting so close to my car running. ^_^

How many ground straps are there on an h22 harness? I have two, kinda having the same problem, x i think i might be losing my injector pulse somewhere...
I really doubt your getting too much fuel really, if theres fuel and some spark that thing should just mow right over.
Pull a plug, connect it to the wire and put the tip by a ground, have somebody turn it over.

This method tests the ignition system as a whole, if you're not seeing spark then theres something wrong, plug, wire, cap, rotor, dizzy power.

I tested it that way. Took a spark plug with wire attached and placed it close to metal object and had someone crank. Sparks came from each plug and wire. From what I see, I have 3 ground wires total. One on the driver side engine mount, one that should be on the harness (usually found near where the thermostat is on the engine), and the one that goes to the transmission. If I am missing any grounds, can someone tell me and where it is suppose to be? I have new dizzy cap, rotor, spark plugs, and wires.

no i think those are the only three.. Not sure if i have the near thermo hooked up, where does it connect?

The one near the thermostat should be coming out of the harness itself and I connected it to a spot near my thermostat.

I checked everything that I could think of and the car still will not start. There is spark, there is gas, and i checked all my grounds. I even made sure all my vacuum hoses were connected. One thing I noticed was that the JDM H22 did not come with a starting valve on the intake manifold. Would this affect the car in any way? Besides that, I do not have any clue why the car is not starting.:confused:

The JDM h22a we just slapped in had a starting valve for sure, you're talking about the IAB diaphragm right? Make sure the black from your VSS and the red/white from the HO2 are both grounded, that was causing ours not to start.
The vacuums are actually really picky for this motor, we had them hooked up a ton of different ways, and the thing ran completely half assed until we hooked them up EXACTLY like they're supposed to be. Mainly, FPR, EGR, IAB selenoid - IAB diaphragm.

The accord that we just swapped came with external coil, did your lude? We had to do some wiring to convert to internal...

I had an external coil dizzy that came with the H23 but the JDM H22A came with an internal dizzy and i converted the H23 harness to make it an internal dizzy. I read on other threads that the starting valve is not needed on the JDM H22A. I hooked up all my vacuum hoses according to the vacuum diagrams that I found for the prelude. Im at the point where I am going to have to bring it to a shop so that they can figure out whats wrong but I really do not want to do that .

To let you know there is a ground up under your car. Because my cousin and I did my h22a swap in my accord about two months ago and we went to start it and it seemed like it wanted to start but it didn't. Had the same symptoms you are talking about and after about 10mins of testing the distributor and checking gas pressure and he remember that it was a ground under the car. Once he put the ground on it started right up. Oh since you have the jdm h22 as I do you need to get a Civic Si 99 or 00 distributor since it's internal coil. Don't get a Prelude distributor.

Do you know like the location of the ground wire under my engine? So that way I have a general idea where to look. Also, I did get a dizzy from I think a B20 since it has an internal coil. It came with an OBD2 connector though. What I did was cut my wires from my OBD1 harness and connected each wire to the OBD2 connectors. I checked my harness once over to see if any wires got cut on the install and if I missed and connectors. Everything looked fine. As far as I know there was only one ground connector on the harness, one from the negative terminal to my tranny, and one from the driver side engine mount to my valve cover. So if there is one ground under my car, I missed it completely. :(

Hey i need help with my car i have a 94 accord with a h22a obd1 engine in my car and am not havein no spark at all cansomone help me because distributor on my car and it stillwont givein spark and its a internal coil but i use my f22 harness bak on my car witch is a external coil i need help

You can find the production year under the exhaust manifold on the block. Looks almost like two clock faces with arrows. One points to the month the other the year. As far as the dizzy goes i used the internal coil dizzy by modifying the wires to it. I dunno if thats what you did or used the external coil type. To modify it to internal all you have to do is splice the yellow/black and yellow wires together that run to the external coil. The blue wire is not used you can just insulate it and wrap it up.
You can find the production year under the
I need help with my car i have a 94 ccord with h22a swap and i use my f22 harness Nd now my car is not givein no spark help me

Back