Having trouble removing a virus...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

George777

^^ Likes Bewbies
I got a message from Windows Defender the other day when I tried getting online saying that a program-- Backdoor:Win32/Cycbot.B -- had been detected on my computer. I clicked "remove" and it said successful. The removal required a restart, so I did. Every time I try to start Firefox, it comes up with the same message, and I can't get on due to a "Proxy Server". I researched what it was, and I followed the steps to try to remove whatever this program is, yet I am still having issues. Malwarebytes detected it (several files) and supposedly removed it, however, I'm still getting the message that the system is still infected. Antivirus hasn't picked up anything (currently using Avast). The only way for me to go online is to go into the options menu in Firefox and change the Proxy settings to "Auto Detect proxy settings for this network" from "Use system proxy settings". I went to Microsoft's site and found this link-- Encyclopedia entry: Backdoor:Win32/Cycbot.B - Learn more about malware - Microsoft Malware Protection Center . The problem that I'm running into while trying to remove this virus is that I can't seem to "connect" to download the updates that they recommend. I currently have it set up to automatically download updates, however, reviewing the update log, it hasn't installed/downloaded any new updates since I first started getting the message that the virus was detected on my system. Anyone else run into this, or have any ideas how I can get this thing off my computer? Any other programs out there that I could use, or any settings I can change to allow for the removal of this? OS is Windows 7 Home Edition. Antivirus is Avast, up to date. Malwarebytes, up to date. Spybot, up to date. No backup of the hard drive, but other than pics of my son, I don't care if I lose anything. TIA Edit: For whatever reason, this post got jumbled together. I don't know why it's not spaced and why it is displaying something other than how I typed it, but perhaps it has something to do with my current issue.

Last edited:
You could also try booting into safe mode and updating your AV software.

Back