Help! D16z6 Crank Pulley Bolt

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

What I've always done was just drive the car to a shop(diesel/heavy equipment works best) and just have them zip the crank pulley bolt off; then hand-tighten it so I can get it off when I get home.

not always.... but when the 'ol el snappo does happen, you ever get that numbing feeling all over??? i think its the body's way of saying "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!", quietly....

gun didnt work, bolt was way too tight, 190k and was never taken out, gotta do what it takes to get the job done

gun didnt work, bolt was way too tight, 190k and was never taken out, gotta do what it takes to get the job done
Understood.

"The" gun didn't work. Because "The" gun clearly wasn't of sufficient capacity for the job. A large enough gun would have worked fine.

That's not a criticism. Just the facts, not looking for a impact gun -vs- cheater bar flame war.

I've used both for many years due to similar circumstance. Many times, if I don't have the right tool I will improvise. Or if I don't have the $ to get the right tool or time to acquire the right tool.

Just for pure safety reasons the gun is best solution. Application of high amounts of torque using manual methods can be fun when things finally break loose or something snaps and breaks.

Are my days of using extension bars finished? Probably not. Still doesn't negate the inherent hazards or what I recommend to others.

Cheers! :mellow:

info appreciated, ive been in the business long enough to know the hazards, my tools and compressors in my shop are plenty strong, out of everywhere ive ever worked its very rare to see a crank bolt come right out with just an impact gun, usually takes heat, or improvising, so now into my back yard, with no lift, no high end compressor and no torches, and thats that

info appreciated, ive been in the business long enough to know the hazards, my tools and compressors in my shop are plenty strong, out of everywhere ive ever worked its very rare to see a crank bolt come right out with just an impact gun, usually takes heat, or improvising, so now into my back yard, with no lift, no high end compressor and no torches, and thats that
And the moral of the story is ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

I'm talking using a BIG gun 3/4" or 1" drive:

Impact%20Gun.JPG

In my years the only times I've seen anything that a properly sized gun won't spank is if there is just not enough room to gain access and use a gun.

Last edited:
A week ago I was using the cheater pipe and breaker bar on a big nut. And I went through two breaker bars, a 18" and 24". Good thing for Craftsmen.

I have three cheater bars in my tool cart as standard equipment. :D

Also have a couple of larger ones that I keep elsewhere. The three I keep in the tool cart are used as much for reach extensions as they are for torque amplification. Fortunately I haven't destroyed a wratchet or broken a breaker far in a long time.

The one I'm holding was made many years ago from a piece of 3/4" electrical conduit - the end was flattened in a vise so it fits over end wrenches and the 3/8" drive wratchet better. The other two are 1" schedule 40 PVC electrical conduit.

Cheater%20Bars.JPG

the whole cheater bar deal works great in the garage... but il like my snap-on 3/4 breaker bar that is about 5 feet long.... used it to break semi wheel bolts off... 550 ft. lbs wheel torque? no problem!!! lol

That's cool, I didn't know they made them that long. I should buy one of them and a big A## 3/4" impact gun.....but right now I need to buy a in-lb torque wrench or use my dads. But his is in lbs. I could use it and just convert the in-lbs to lbs. Lets do some physics.!

Back