Home Security System-revisited

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Rose bushes, window tint, motion detector lights, curtains, and careful landscaping cost a lot less than $2k, and those are a one-time-purchase.

EDIT: And if you're really into it, you can put some cameras around the house. One on the porch/front door, and one on the driveway are about all you really need.

apparently, there are companies that will put cameras in/on your house, but you have no access to the video. i didnt know people would allow that.

a friend of mine just had all of her flowers cut out of her yard, a lot of them.
she posted it on fb, and stated that they have cameras.
i asked what the video showed, she said that they would have to subpoena the company to get the video and its not worth the hassle.

wtf? what is the point in having a camera system that you cant watch? and whats the point if you have to go through the courts to get the video.

seems really stupid to me.

An ADT system of the same type would have been about $1000 out of pocket and over $50 a month. Thats $3150 + $1000 out of pocket...

i was getting a system no matter what so how is that a rip off?
Oh, this is an entire alarm system with door, window and motion monitors inside the house too? I thought it was just cameras.

@ You techie guys, would it be possible to rig up all of your own sensors and shit? Buy everything piece buy piece. Program your own responses to various effects, motions, sounds etc.

@ You techie guys, would it be possible to rig up all of your own sensors and shit? Buy everything piece buy piece. Program your own responses to various effects, motions, sounds etc.

you can buy alarm kits without the monthly fee's but you won't have anyone but you monitoring your house. No one will call the cops or fire dept while you are gone.

USA SHIP Wireless Home Security System LED Burglar Alarm House Auto Dialer | eBay

apparently, there are companies that will put cameras in/on your house, but you have no access to the video. i didnt know people would allow that.

a friend of mine just had all of her flowers cut out of her yard, a lot of them.
she posted it on fb, and stated that they have cameras.
i asked what the video showed, she said that they would have to subpoena the company to get the video and its not worth the hassle.

wtf? what is the point in having a camera system that you cant watch? and whats the point if you have to go through the courts to get the video.

seems really stupid to me.

that doesn't sound right to me. All the companies i researched, including lifeshield, allow 24/7 access via internet or phone app to monitor the cameras.

You are better off getting a standalone camera system that has Apps that's not part of the security company anyway. They charge you higher monthly fee's to add cameras. I can buy a SWANN 600TVL 4 camera DVR system for $499 that has a free app to view the cameras over your phone for free.

yeah, i know about the systems

i was just confused when she said that. sounds off to me.

when i can afford it, i will be piecing together a nice camera system.

Yep. Already knew that. I have a buddy that's big in camera systems. He loves the Damn things. He shares all the new info he comes across with me.
I plan on having 4 cameras outside on each corner of my house, and one at the front door mainly to use with a screen inside to see who is at the door, but will be recording as well. Still undecided on whether I will put any inside the house, probably won't for the time being. If I do, I doubt I will put them on a remote accessable network, too paranoid that somebody could gain access to them and watch me.

Yep. Already knew that. I have a buddy that's big in camera systems. He loves the Damn things. He shares all the new info he comes across with me.
I plan on having 4 cameras outside on each corner of my house, and one at the front door mainly to use with a screen inside to see who is at the door, but will be recording as well. Still undecided on whether I will put any inside the house, probably won't for the time being. If I do, I doubt I will put them on a remote accessable network, too paranoid that somebody could gain access to them and watch me.

I have that setup you mention, plus the remote viewing. I run a VPN at home, so you can't get to it publicly anyway. My phone connects back to my VPN, as do my tablet, and my traveling laptop. It's more of a safety thing to see if someone is home before I'm home. It records and I think it stores 30 days of motion sensitive footage. I think it's a 750GB drive.

I suggest focusing on securing your perimeter, and then focusing on the natural entry points to both the home and the property afterwards. The whole idea is that you want the most warning possible if someone tries to overrun your castle, not that you want to see who is trying to overrun it. For the front door "peephole" either a 2.5" or a 3" monitor next to the door, with a feed of the door camera is sufficient in most cases, however you want to set it up to leave the monitor off unless someone is watching it, because you don't really want to give away that you have that capability.

I'd add IR illuminators to that list, and enough of them to light up your whole yard. Strategically placed and tuned motion sensor lights (they're just PIR) will add to that layer of security. Just keep in mind that with PIR lights you'll have to adjust the sensitivity each season to ensure you keep them zoned properly.

Just a note, don't point any cameras to areas that have visibility inside your house. You don't want to be watching yourself, it's a waste of hard drive space, and in the event of something happening, it doesn't help you to show that you walked past the window three hours before strapped with an AK, Pistol and a loaded down tactical vest.

good tips. thanks.

for the door camera, im actually going to mount the screen in the hallway away from the door.
this way, if my wife is home alone, she can check the screen from a distance to see who is there, and not be close to the door, just in case it is a threat. that way, she can get herself and the wee one to safety and call the cops before they even hear anybody walk up to the door. and it wont be right smack in your face when you walk in.

any updates on the system? I'm considering a system for peace of mind as I've been traveling a lot lately and would like to at least have some direct communication to the police/fire stations if something goes wrong while I'm away.

The Lifeshield is a great system so far. Its easy to operate and install. The Android app works 100%. The online access is very user friendly. I like the fact that they also include a remote/tablet wiressless control panel. We leave it in our bedroom on the night stands so when we are ready for bed we can arm it that way as well. It's an 8inch Coby tablet. im sure if you don't find it useful you can hack it with an Android system somehow to use as a full tablet.

i also get weekly crime reports emailed to me that occur in a 5 mile radius from my house which is a nice feature as well.

it also came with a keychain that allows you to arm and disarm the alarm witout the code which is nice to give to a family member incase they need to get into your house. But you can also setup user accounts as well if you want.

If you are interested give me your email. They have a referral program where we both benefit.

I haven't put in a Surveillence system yet, too many things keep coming up.

I think you have dogs as well? How does the motion detector work with them? My biggest fear is shitting my pants from the alarm going off at 3am if the dogs trip the system.

Does the base unit need to be cat5'd to the router or is it completely wireless?

I think you have dogs as well? How does the motion detector work with them? My biggest fear is shitting my pants from the alarm going off at 3am if the dogs trip the system.

Does the base unit need to be cat5'd to the router or is it completely wireless?

the base is cat5 connected...everthing else is completely wireless...

We have the motion sensors but honestly i only use it when the dogs are in the basement...or when they both sleep in our bedroom and we shut the door..there are 3 ways to arm the system: instant, stay and away...we usualy use stay for now because it doesn't activate the motion sensors while we are home and at the moment we let the dogs roam the house but that is going to change because i want the full alarm active at all times. Though the motion sensors are suppose to be pet proof for dogs under 80lbs.

You get a 7 day test period to play around with it so that if the alarm does go off nothing happens. I tried it out a bunch of times and the alarm never went off with the dogs roaming the house. For some reason i am just being cautious about it.

Back