I Know I've Got A Bad Attitude From Time To Time..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I halfway agree,but yet not.Even in other lanuages,they use punctuation and capitalization,even if the grammar and spelling are off.But I agree with Gabe and Mike,especially since my wife is german,and her english isn't perfect,but my german sucks,sooo...

Originally posted by rsaeini Posted on May 15 2003@ 05:03 PM
i think english is one of the easier languages to learn.

To bad some many english speaking Americans massacare it everyday.But it isn't that easy to perfect,most foriegn languages are based in the same structures,so they are easier to learn when you know one.The ones you mention are very complicated though.

English is one of the harder languages to learn, especially if you come from an Arabic or Asain language because the structures are not remotely close. I have no problems with someone moving here that doesn't speak any english, my problem is with people that make no attempt to learn the language.

when my schooling is all said and done, i plan on going to community college at night to
learn chinese, japanese, korean and quite possibly esperanto :D
my spanish is pretty damn good, italian i can fake it
asain languages rock y0!!!

Originally posted by karnash@May 15 2003, 02:48 PM
asain languages rock y0!!!

The grammar structure makes more sense, but damn... remembering how to write everything in Chinese is a major bitch.

Originally posted by Calesta@May 15 2003, 02:28 PM
The grammar structure makes more sense,

If you didn't learn a European language first :)

One of my 3 jobs is at Disney (Pleasure Island) and it just gets annoying after a while how some people just cant speak english. But a lot of them are tourist who wont be here for longer than a month and dont need to learn english, and very rarely will I ever get an Italian guest that I can speak with.

You guys should spend one day sitting in a DMV and watch how many people who can not speak, read, or write in English get their licenses, everyday. How do they read the road signs? Who knows. But hey, when they stop on I-4 to reverse so they can get on the correct off ramp and cause a 5 car pile up, it's ok, cause they were trying to learn English.

I wouldn't dream of going to live in another country unless I had a working knowledge of the native language. Maybe not completely fluent, but enough to be able to function with anyone else who lives there.

In Colorado, a bill was passed that allows for bi-lingual (Spanish and English) education while in grade school. In other words, it's OK for Mexican kids who come here with their families to never have a firm grasp of the English language while in school. I love it.

Yea, down in my high school in Miami, 90% of the students didn't speak English, and they didn't have too. It wasn't mandatory for them to learn English. Most of my teachers were Spanish and 3/4 of the class was tought in Spanish and the other 15 minutes was spent making sure english-speaking students knew the assignments.

Chris, that is kind of funny. While I was working/living in Colorado I met far more people that could not speak English than I have here where I am 30 minutes from the border and 45 minutes from a fairly large city in Mexico. 99% of the people here from out of the country speak Spanish very well and English at least well enough to function, many of them fluently. It kind of puts those of us here that are from the US to shame as we can communicate in exactly one language.

Originally posted by TRuggiero_@May 15 2003, 03:20 PM
Most of my teachers were Spanish and 3/4 of the class was tought in Spanish and the other 15 minutes was spent making sure english-speaking students knew the assignments.

That just fuckin blows me away.

Originally posted by karnash@May 15 2003, 02:00 AM

how fucking hard is it to understand a simple fast food order...
PLAIN HAMBURGER, NO LETTUCE, NO TOMATOES, NO ONIONS....
and they still fuck up my order. im not targeting one specific race, shit white people
cant understand english as well.

i hate fast food.

I resent the fast food remark.

ps. I work at bk! w00t $7.01 an hour!!!! Oh yeah, it is weird how I am the only person that doesn't speak spanish at my franchise and yet we live in the sticks.

I work in a town where a good part of the people can barely speak english or they have broken english. I have no respect for the ones who have been here for a while that can barely speak several words of english. It is very hard to communicate with these people.

Originally posted by TRuggiero_@May 15 2003, 05:12 PM
But hey, when they stop on I-4 to reverse so they can get on the correct off ramp and cause a 5 car pile up, it's ok, cause they were trying to learn English.

That's totally different. You can't compare selling a car (where only basic communication is needed) to driving one (where you need to be able to read signs). I agree that if people are immigrating to a country, they should learn to speak the native language fluently, and that there are certain things you just should not do if you can't speak the native tongue. I'm proud that my parents have excellent control of English, along with some Spanish and about 3-4 dialects of Chinese, but not everyone is capable of that. All immigrants should try though. I have respect for those who are trying to learn English, no matter how bad they are at it- but for those that try to turn America into a Spanish or Vietnamese speaking country (since those are the two most language deficient groups now), I'm against it.

Legislation that overly caters to non-native speakers really sucks- it only encourages people to not attempt to learn English, and that's lame. Still- don't look at this issue as black & white - selling a car and driving one while not being able to read/write/speak English properly are two totally different things.

ROFL. I just found this on Honda-Tech...

mosesenglish.jpg

I agree calesta, I wasn't addressing the guy trying to sell the car. I was just talking about the non-english speaking population in general that get so many privelages and shyt without needing to read, write, or speak english. Such as, getting licenses, working at guest service counters, I even called the operator once and that chicks english was fucking pathetic.

Back