is remote keyless entry stock 98 civic ex

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ricco

Just bought civic ex for daughter,it has an aftermarket deck. Came with no fob so I'm not sure if even compatible,how can I find out. Would like to put deck in that's IPhone compatible alarm & keyless entry. Any ideas apprecoated as I have no clue. Thx

Can I buy a replacement ? Just bought car with key only. How would I know if even compatible? BTW aftermarket deck in it & Will replace if possible to add keyless entry,alarm etc. Any ideas appreciated. Ty

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be able to get the replacement key fob from a dealership and have it programmed
There are free VIN decoders online that should be able to tell you all of the equipment that was included on this vehicle
As an ex it most likely did have keyless entry
The radio is an easy swap out and will have no effect on the keyless entry or anything else
There are plenty available to interface with her phone, Bluetooth, etc
Alarms on these cars are also rather straightforward and they should be able to tie in with the keyless entry maybe look into that first before the key fob from the dealership as it may be easier and cheaper to go with the aftermarket key fob

Locks are not working;read in owner manual that if you remove factory deck it disables this function. Crutchfield recommends leaving oem stereo plugged in & tucked away behind dash when installing aftermarket, hmm dunno where yet. Is this due to security wiring or? Is there another way to get pwr locks to work. Any advice?

you dont need to start a whole new thread for this it is the same issue
i merged your threads for you

i looked further in to the deck/power locks issue, and i was wrong, it seems that they are related
in their infinite wisdom Honda built the dome light and keyless entry in to the factory radio on the 96-98 civics

you can pull the aftermarket radio out and check if you can find the factory radio plugged in somewhere behind the dash
there should be a power, ignition, ground, and the 2 green plugs plugged in to the factory radio in order to retain dome light and door lock function
if the radio is there make sure that it is plugged in with at least power ignition and ground and the 2 green plugs

does the dome light come on with the door opening?
do the power locks work at all?
have you checked all of the fuses?

No; light or pwr dr locks
Yes; fuses are good
TY for looking into & for merging as I'm new to forums, advice is much appreciated
Just learned today that rear radius arm bushings are torn out; is this something I can remove & have pressed out then new pressed in? How difficult?

Back