IT people..Cell Phone ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

corvetteguy78

VIP
I have a Blackberry Bold through work and my HTC Rezound for personal . They are getting rid of Blackberry's for Iphones and mines due up in June. I rarely use my BB other then for work emails and phone calls.

I think one of my options is to carry over my personal number and let my work pay for the Iphone bill. That would be a nice perk because i pay $76/m for my phone which includes 450 minutes, unlimited txt and true unlimited data.

My concerns are with how the phone can be monitored by IT. Can they see my yahoo app emails, text messages, whatsapp messages?

Also i am grandfathered into unlimited data with Verizon and if get a new job i would loose that if i ever need to go back. I average about 2.8gigs of data a month and have been as high as 4+gigs a month.

O and if i lost my job somehow... i would loose my number that i have had for like 10 years.

It would save me $912 a year. Not sure if its worth it. Any thoughts?

O and another thing is i have a 19% discount applied on my account from an old job from 7 years ago which i would loose if i had to go back.

Last edited:
i know at my company i do not monitor anything, but we have the capability through meraki enterprise.

on a standard at&t bill, text messages can be shown but they can't show your messages through yahoo, or whatever else "web related" .

i've had a work paid for phone for almost a decade now, no fucks given. you remember all those nudes of myself i sent you? yep... work phone.

While that is a lot of savings, it really depends on your work. Some are more strict than others.

At my work, Everyone keeps it separate. While I have dodged the BB life for now, I wouldn't ever just use our company phone for personal use. Also I'd never have a life if I carried the stupid thing everywhere with me like a normal phone. Calls/emails would never stop coming. I'd have to stop answering them.

I would honestly just ask.

"If I decide to port my personal number over, will the company restrict or monitor anything I can do on the phone?"

More ask as if you could face ramifications from your actions then "are you going to be up in my business??".

never mix business with pleasure.

get a cheap non-data flip phone or some shit for basic $29 plan, and use the work phone for work stuff and stuff you don't care if they track, like navigation, stocks, etc etc.

You quit you lose your number. F that, its hard to get people over to a new number. I had a company phone in an old job and kept everything separate. If I ported my number over I would have lost it. Also at 5pm Fri to 9am Mon the work phone was off. Left alone, went right to voice mail so no one thought I was dodging them. Keep it separate.

I used to manage all the wireless accounts within our company.

We have about 750 users with maybe 450 wireless accounts. We didn't use any sort of monitoring on our devices. The only thing we have setup is our devices are required to have a security code of they are connected to the corporate Exchange server.

On the phone number issue, you shouldn't have any problems keeping your number of you for some reason leave the company. Just ask them to release financial responsibility on the number and then you'll have 72 hours to either setup your personal account with same carrier, or port it out to another carrier. This is a common practice for us.

Depends on what your company's corporate standards are for risk and data loss. My new company is so strict that I don't even use my laptop to check my bank account any more as they have such severe policies its a bit overwhelming. During our integration activities, I'm learning alot about DLP and one thing I know that is out there is Airwatch. If they're paying for your device and/or your accessing their assets through your personal device, such as BYOD, they have the ability to wipe data. Airwatch configures the phone to the standards they set, for instance, they disallow iCloud backup. So if your phone gets wiped, your data is lost unless you have local iTunes backups. There's a large grey area to deal with but in their mind, they'd rather fight a small claims issue with the employee than risk a large issue with stockholders, etc. if data loss was found.

FOr me, with my prevous company, my bill was paid through reimbursement. I they never handled the account so it was my device, just accessing exchange for email / GAL.

My old job was that bad with the laptop, pretty much work related only. When I started they said don't cancel your cell phone plan, try to keep your personal stuff separate. I guess it depends on the company but for me what I do on my time is not my employers business.

Yea, i decided it will be best to keep them seperate. I think im going to go to Straight Talk though and save my self $31/m...just need to research it a little

anyone on straight talk? i read reviews that you can't stream audio on striaght talk?

Last edited:
At my old job I used my work phone for personal use. Kept it that way for 8 years. When I quit I was able to keep my old number (for other reasons that didn't happen), but could not transfer to the new work phone.

Now I carry an Iphone 5 + a BB Bold (Work). :(

I've had a corporate phone for almost 10 years now, if/when I leave I'm planning to ask them if I can port the number out... Absolutely all of my personal stuff is on this number... Tax stuff, everything.

I recently got promoted at work and with that came an iphone 5. I've been debating dropping my personal cell but there are a few things holding me back. The Sprint network really sucks around here. I can't get 4G. They block lots of apps. No Facebook, Gmail (big one there), or craigslist. Lastly, the iphone 5 sucks. I hate the user interface and the battery life blows compared to my Razr HD.

I could use the phone the city provides me as my personnel phone, but then all my texts and pictures and phone calls would be subject to public disclosure of anyone ever filled for it and i would be in a lot of trouble lol but that's the only thing holding me back

1. migrate your personal stuff over to google voice.
2. Get new company phone.
3. setup google voice on company iPhone/Android (I prefer android for the GV integration), personal calls come in through GV, so you know when it's a personal call vice business.
4. Carry one phone.
5. ????
6. PROFIT

FWIW:
I use google voice for 100% of my phone calls.

I carry two phones. One is work, one is personal. My work phone is a BB 9830, and my personal is an iPhone 4. I'll probably go with the BB Z10 in a few weeks when we get the contracts for new phones finalized, but I won't ever get rid of having to carry two phones. I can't have my work email/calls on a personal phone, and I can't have my personal calls on the work phone. Too much risk there, and I'm not willing to accept it.

However, since it's an unlimited calling plan, and unlimited data, I do have GV calls forwarded to my work phone, and on occasion, I use the web-interface to google voice to send and check text messages on my BB. After many discussions with lawyers, this is legit, and will stand up in court, since there's no additional cost.

Last edited:
Back