JDM H22A running rich, poor idle, missing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondarin

Please enter a value using 50 characters or fewer.
VIP
Ok, I have a 94 H22A in my 92 Accord, and after sitting for two weeks, it started running really rich and idling poorly. I pulled the distributor cap off today, and there was oil in it. I cleaned out the oil with some electric parts cleaner, but it didn't really help much.

I drove the car about 9 miles, turned it off, went in to run an errand, and then the car wouldn't start. I had to wait about 10-15 min before it would start. After driving for a couple of minutes, I got a CEL, so I stopped off at my brother's house to check the code. It was a "blink blink blink," so I looked up 3 and 30, and 30 is an auto transmission code, so it's not that. 3 is a MAP code.

I also did some searching about oil in distributor caps, and came across a thread on honda-tech where the guy had to replace his coil. So I'm thinking I may have a dying coil, but I'm getting a MAP sensor code.

The distributor is a Richporter internal coil unit I bought new in 2005.

So, does anybody have any ideas on this? And, does anybody know if the 99-00 Civic SI's coil is compatible with the internal H22 coil?

Thanks in advance

I'm putting the link to the HT thread here, so I can find it later
h22 jdm coil testing issues - Honda-Tech

The car was running fine for almost 6 years. I feel pretty confident that its an ignition problem. I'm mainly trying to figure out what USDM coil will work in a JDM internal coil distributor.

Ok, for those out there who are curious, and for future searches, the coil was the problem. I checked Honda part numbers between a 1991 Accord, and a 2000 Civic SI, and they were the same, so, I got a coil for a 91 Accord, and it worked fine. It seems as though Honda used the same coil for the internal coil distributors from the early 90's through the early 2000's.

Back