Lets try this again in the right forum - need help with my clutch issue ASAP

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chestercheeto48

VIP
This problem started yesterday out of the blue and has been annoying the crap out of me each time I go to start driving my car. (96 dx stick with 150,xxx mi.) After letting it sit for a period of time like over night or while at work when I go to start it I am having problems getting it to shift into 1st or reverse while the car is started.

I can shift with no issue when the car is off. As soon as I push the clutch pedal it feels very soft and when the engine is started the car starts to move in which ever gear I have it. If I try to shift into neutral I can't so I turn my car off and try again. After I get moving and run through a couple of shift cycles I can feel the pedal has more pressure and I can shift fine for the rest of the drive.

I do not think it is tranny or clutch related but more of a clutch pedal problem - gears 2-5 work fine and once I am on the road 1st and reverse work fine as well.

So here is my question is there a way to adjust the tension on the clutch pedal to help the clutch disengage sooner? Is there like a master/slave cylinder that I can check?

I looked under the hood and all I could find were two caps located by the drivers side rear that both had "brake fluid" on the caps. Am I missing something if so please point me in the right direction. I have a shop at school and can do the work myself if somebody could just explain what I am looking for or what I need to do. All I need is a point in the right direction to get me started.

Any help would be appreciated as I want to limp this car along as long as possible to avoid a car payment.

Thanks in advance.

on the pedal itself is an adjustment bolt.

sounds more like your clutch MC is on its way out though. that is the smaller reservoir on the firewall with "brake fluid" in it.

on the pedal itself is an adjustment bolt.

sounds more like your clutch MC is on its way out though. that is the smaller reservoir on the firewall with "brake fluid" in it.

Ok sweet is there any way to check the level in the MC? I am assuming it is the smaller of the two correct? Should it be full like the washer fluid would be? Do I need to bleed it?

You really should buy a simple manual. Any cheap manual like a Haynes or Chilton. It has step by step instructions with pictures, as well as many other common maintenance tasks like this one.

Then you won't even waste your time waiting for responses.

I know I should get a manual but I am at work and had no access to one. Turbo I added some DOT 3 to the MC and it was an instant improvement. Thanks for the help.

One last question - should it be totally full or should there be some space from the fluid to the top? I appreciate the help already given.

It has MAX and MIN lines.

Just so when the cap goes on, it's not spewing over the sides from under the cap

I just replaced mine last week. It's your slave cylinder, which is right in front of your transmission in the front. Your master is prob leaking as well. Get them both replaced, b/c if you just do one and not the other.....the new increased pressure from one will blow out the other.

Back