"Light" B16a flywheel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

olde phart

Doing the final groundwork before I scatter my EF for the transplant. This week's project is the LS high gear set, and throw in new synchros while I'm there. This thing is gonna' end up with the B16 (OBD-0) left stock.....pros/cons of one of the aftermarket light flywheels.....trading off too much torque for real-world driving? Also....what's a good clutch assy. for street use....preferably without tons more pedal effort? I assume the clutch/flywheel setups on eBay are to be avoided...

Thanks for any input...

Jim

I have a OBD0 B16a in my 91 Civic. It is mated to a 92-93 Integra GSR transmission with the Exedy 9.5lb flywheel (# EXD-HF01), not remembering what clutch though.. I'll have to look at my recipes. I know I bought an Exedy clutch kit too but I don't think I used it. Pretty sure it is a single plate "stage 1" clutch. Either way the pressure plate is pretty close to stock feel. It's easy to push in and the clutch grabs at close to the same point as stock. I don't have any problems going from a dead stop. If anything it is too easy to give it a bit more gas pedal than it needs and make the tires chirp a bit when it grabs. It also shifts very easy at low RPMs. Reving up to 2.5k - 3k and shifting up through the gears works just fine.

Maybe something like a 7.5lb flywheel would make it tough? Everyone on the forums always seem to say it makes engagement harder from a stop but I don't have any problems.

You don't actually lose torque per se, but just less energy is stored. I've had a 7lb(Civic) and 8lb(Accord) flywheel. They weren't hard to drive but required a little more "effort" to make smooth.

As usual, thanks for your input. I'll just order the Exedy flywheel and do it all up right the first time. Flywheels....are the same for cable and hydraulic trans, correct? I know the clutches are different....

Back