Need help with computer options-Upgrade or replace?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
Currently using a Dell Optiplex GX260. Works great and has XP (which I prefer), just kind of slow. Should I upgrade it with this
Amazon.com: Dell OptiPlex GX260 1GB Memory Ram Upgrade (A-Tech Brand): Computer & Accessories

or replace it with one of these
Amazon.com: Lenovo IdeaCentre C100 18.5-Inch Black Desktop PC (Windows XP Home): Computer & Accessories
Amazon.com: eMachines EZ1601-01 All-in-One Desktop: Computer & Accessories

This computer will just be for use at home. I plan on picking up a net book at some point to handle my mobile needs. I really only use a home computer to browse the web and do homework. What's the deal (pros and cons) of these all in ones?

Will a RAM upgrade do what I want to what I already have? The computer will still have the Celeron processor.

If I keep the Dell I'm also going to also add the hard drive from my laptop that continues to take shit after shit and I'm just fed up with.

Last edited:
laptop hard drives won't work in a desktop.

a gig of ram will help, but it's not the mericle worker you may be expecting it to be. a SYSTEM is only as good as it's weakest link.

laptop hard drives won't work in a desktop.
From what I have read, it can be made to work. How To Build A Desktop PC Using Laptop Parts - Put your Old Laptop to Good Use
I really don't care about upgrading the actual volume, I just want all the stuff off the laptop that wont turn on.
B said:
a gig of ram will help, but it's not the miracle worker you may be expecting it to be. a SYSTEM is only as good as it's weakest link.
I'm not expecting a miracle, just want to speed it up a little to handle the requirements of newer programs.

I'm kind of leaning towards the all-in-ones though. What are their downfalls? And what are the brands to go with or steer away from? I was really leaning towards that eMachines system.

eMachines = gateway 2000's walmart line. i'd stay away.

i'm not a fan of all in ones. if one piece brakes, the whole thing is dead (ie, monitor dies)

acer owns gateway which owns emachines. all in all, good budget brands meaning they work, but are ugly and dont have every bell and whistle.

now as for the two all in ones you picked out.. theyre not much faster than what you currently have because of the atom processor. pretty much "nettops." and as for all in ones are concerned:

pro:
-saves a lot of space

con:
-basically laptops with a large LCD screen
-laptop parts = slower parts compared to desktop for price
-difficult to service or change parts
-expensive

your options are:

-upgrade your ram AND processor. you can pick up an old 2.4+ghz p4 with hyperthreading for $15-30, probably even less. and ddr ram is around $30 for a gig. with those two upgrades, you will easily be faster than an intel atom.

-get a modern laptop and a large lcd screen. this way you can a laptop and a desktop when you dock it. $350-400 for a solid entry notebook and $100 for a 19inch LCD.

-get the all in ones you mentioned . $400. "fast enough," i guess. slowest of the options though.

-build or purchase a true desktop. a very solid and fast one should cost around $400-450 with LCD. easily the fastest out of the options and with price hunting, you can even land a quad-core.

if money is really tight, i would go with option 1 with the upgrades. if space is absolutely an issue, i would get a laptop with LCD. if it were me, id get a true desktop. most power for the money and microatx is a small enough form factor that it doesnt take that much space.

acer owns gateway which owns emachines. all in all, good budget brands meaning they work, but are ugly and dont have every bell and whistle.

now as for the two all in ones you picked out.. theyre not much faster than what you currently have because of the atom processor. pretty much "nettops." and as for all in ones are concerned:

pro:
-saves a lot of space

con:
-basically laptops with a large LCD screen
-laptop parts = slower parts compared to desktop for price
-difficult to service or change parts
-expensive

your options are:

-upgrade your ram AND processor. you can pick up an old 2.4+ghz p4 with hyperthreading for $15-30, probably even less. and ddr ram is around $30 for a gig. with those two upgrades, you will easily be faster than an intel atom.

-get a modern laptop and a large lcd screen. this way you can a laptop and a desktop when you dock it. $350-400 for a solid entry notebook and $100 for a 19inch LCD.

-get the all in ones you mentioned . $400. "fast enough," i guess. slowest of the options though.

-build or purchase a true desktop. a very solid and fast one should cost around $400-450 with LCD. easily the fastest out of the options and with price hunting, you can even land a quad-core.

if money is really tight, i would go with option 1 with the upgrades. if space is absolutely an issue, i would get a laptop with LCD. if it were me, id get a true desktop. most power for the money and microatx is a small enough form factor that it doesnt take that much space.
Very helpful. I think I'm going to take a crack at upgrading it myself. I was unaware that all-in-ones were basically "nettops". If I screw up what I have, It's not even $100 and I'll just shell out for a new desk top. If all goes to plan, I'll have saved myself a nice chunk of change to get net book too.

not all-in-ones are netbook based. some are just regular laptop based. just that the two you were looking at are weak netbook based ones.

anyway, before you upgrade, check to see if your RAM is DDR1 or DDR2. Also to see if your mother is Socket 478 or Socket 775. Lastly, make sure that your motherboard supports the parts you intend to uprade it with. Just because its socket 478, you cant just simply through in a the highest pentium 4 you can find. the easiest way to know this is check with dell with serial numbers or by opening the computer it self and google up the specs to motherboard.

lastly, avenues to check for parts are forums (i like anandtech and hardocp), craigst list and ebay. most good sellers will have heatware and should ship first with confirmation. that way you can ensure youre not getting screwed.

if you need help, let know and ill try my best to help you get sorted out.

not all-in-ones are netbook based. some are just regular laptop based. just that the two you were looking at are weak netbook based ones.

anyway, before you upgrade, check to see if your RAM is DDR1 or DDR2. Also to see if your mother is Socket 478 or Socket 775. Lastly, make sure that your motherboard supports the parts you intend to uprade it with. Just because its socket 478, you cant just simply through in a the highest pentium 4 you can find. the easiest way to know this is check with dell with serial numbers or by opening the computer it self and google up the specs to motherboard.

lastly, avenues to check for parts are forums (i like anandtech and hardocp), craigst list and ebay. most good sellers will have heatware and should ship first with confirmation. that way you can ensure youre not getting screwed.

if you need help, let know and ill try my best to help you get sorted out.
Well the RAM I listed above is specifically an upgrade for my computer down to the numbers (GX260). It that enough to insure it will fit or should I check further? And how would I do that?

I haven't even researched a Processor yet, but with some basic searching on Amazon, its too cheap to not replace it. I guess I'll figure out how to do that too.

If you want to be really nice, you could give me a crash course in what I'm looking for once I open it up. And I heard something about some kind of bracelet to wear while working. Could you explain that too?

A ground strap bracelet? It just keeps any static from hitting the board and frying components.

OK cool. Guess I'll pick one up when I decide what parts to order.

honestly, if youre going to upgrade, dont spend more than $50 or so. Why? because with another $50-100, you can replace your motherboard, cpu and ram with a modern set up. anyway, to the point.

you find out more info about your motherboard, by installing and running CPU-Z. This way, you can find out exactly what kind of cpu, ram and montherboard you have. Then you can confirm this by opening the case and looking up the motherboards model number. Post the info up here and ill help you out. Take screen shots of CPU-Z with processor, mainboard and memory info.

DDR1 isnt too picky about RAM. I suggest getting Crucial, corsair, kingston or some other top tier brand memory and for sure it will work without issues. As for picking up a processor, look for a pentium 4 with hyper-threading. You want at least 2.4ghz or higher. I just saw one on anandtech's forum for $15 shipped.

Lastly, if youre going to run Windows Xp without gaming or serious a/v or photo stuff, 1Gb is plenty. Youll be wasting your money with more than 1GB with XP then because you wont be using that much of it and DDR1 is old old tech.

ANd yes you can use a wraist strap to ground yourself. im cheap i just have one hand the case or touch it every few minutes our so.

oh yeah, take a peak at my DIY build on this section of the forum. it has a few photos and its pretty relevant to what youre doing.

im in the process of updating it with more info and photos..........just need time to do it.. have 4 different builds going on so been very busy lately.

AnandTech Forums

here is a guy selling a 2.8ghz pentium 4 with ht for $14.00 shipped. its for socket 478 and im pretty sure thats what you have if its DDR1 RAM.

Back