Need some D16Y8 to D16Z6 help.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kmclennan

Purchased a 1996 Civic EX about a week ago and knew it had an exhaust rattle when I bought it. Was clean, 140k miles on the dash and no check engine light on. I drove it and all seemed well until I went to fix the exhaust. I don't know much about cars, much more motorcycle oriented and the muffler guy, who had some Honda knowledge, informs me that it's not the original motor.

I'm supposed to have a D16Y8 but I currently have a D16Z6. Well this is illegal so I may never pass state inspection with it but I'm going to try. Over the past few days I've read a lot of the swap posts and that but my problem seems to be specific. Here is what I have:

Motor: D16Z6
ECU: P2E (for a 96-2000 DX)
Harness: Looks like the DX harness as well, 2 O2 sensors, one on the manifold and one near the firewall. Not as far down as an EX.
I am throwing 4 codes, 3 are related to not having a catalytic converter and then P1337 which is the CKF sensor. Aside from that the car works fine, getting poor mileage but I expect that with no cat and an exhaust leak.

So my question is, should I revert it back to OBD2A, put the correct ECU in with the correct wiring harness or should I throw a P28 ECU in it as I'm assuming it already has the jumper in it because it is currently running on OBD2. A little overwhelmed at the moment so I may have things completely mixed up but any help is appreciated. It seems if all the work for the OBD2 system is working I should just throw in a P28 and I should be good if the other work has been done? Other work being the injectors, alternator and dizzy.

what state do you live in?
id try to find out more about your states rules/regulations specifically (ex: in CA its illegal to have an older engine than the year of your chassis, but here in WA its perfectly legal as long as theres no CEL)

Wish i was in your spot

I had a D16Z6 for my 93 SI that blew but just bought a complete Y8 thinking it was a Z6, well, now I'm up shat creek unless I can get my old head onto to new block :wtf:

Back