new here, guess I should make an introduction

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tastyratz

Ok everyone my names kurt... and im an alcoholic...

whoops wrong place

so my names kurt, I live in new england and I just picked up a 88 crx HF for my daily driver. I spent alot of time in the 240sx community, and I have a turbo sohc 240 full suspension/kit/r32 front/ the works as my weekend warrior. Ive probabbly collectively got around 3000 posts on 240 forums. Im on 240 #4, and I have owned a 94 prelude before (SI h23 start/ jdm h22 finish). I have another 240 ive been daily driving but the gas mileage is really painful. I decided to pick this sucker up to get me back and forth with crazy mpg. I actually just bought it last night. 112k miles, engine feels smooth and drives nice, clutch is fresh (but what a pain to drive its finicky!) brakes are completely shot and ALL need to be changed. I really know just about NOTHING on these cars and I have alot of reading and searching to do. Im in the early stages and basically just have the specs and faq info. I plan on modding it out reasonably, nothing distatesful exotic or extreme, doing mods that will add power and nothing that will really comprimise gas mileage on a reasonable budget (as my commuter car this is my main goal to save money not get a new money pit. I already have one thank you)

Im well aware that power adders usually kill gas mileage, and I know the best way to save gas is stay off the throttle. I also know this little putt putt needs a bit more get up and go to make sure its safe in case I have to do that accelerate thing people talk about.

My plans as of right now:
stiffer springs - im not afraid of a harsh ride I DD coilovers, I would rather be lower for better aero and handling

get a cheap header for efficiency and weight savings
get a generic cone intake
strut tower bars
probabbly a decent set of plug wires and fresh copper plugs
MAYBE get an exhaust, but nothing fart canish or flashy. Something cheap quiet and maybe a little bit larger
upgraded harness for the headlights
lightening even more - I dont need tons of crap if it just gets me to work so anything heavy and expendable can go.

new seats. I LOVED my bb4 94' prelude and im gonna do a bit of reading to see what its taken someone to SUCCESSFULLY install them in a 2nd gen crx and any pitfalls (2 of 3 bolts, seats dont mate with x bucket, sit too high, wont slide, etc)

New brakes. Im probabbly gonna get some metal master front brake pads. I very possibly will be doing a rear disk brake conversion if I can pull it off VERY cheaply (read 200$ is not cheap for a 400$ car) I am also going to look at other possible braking upgrades/swaps from other cars while retaining optimal brake distrobution and fitting stock wheels (that means 22 inch 18 piston wilwoods are a wee bit out of the question). Stopping is important to me

Is there a page or place somewhere that will show me a list of most of the things that can cross reference with this car? (I.E. integra/s2k/accord/civic/etc. parts that bolt on or work the same without extensive mods)

I am not going to ask those of you to spoon feed me, but if anyone has any great links they know of... or any good tips/resoureces/threads/etc to start me off on my venture to freshening up my daily driver a bit that would be greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited:
welcome, no links off hand...
just lots of reading

i believe most 88-91 civic/crx's share parts with the 90-93 integra, specifically the rear discs

just checked mine and theres no sign of airjockie in my jock shorts
im allowed 1 noobie question right? ive been searching for awhile today and ive just gotten TONS of conflicting information. Pad selection for the HF.... nilch or not?
I see some places that say their performance pads fit all crx, some say only si, some say older dx, some say check if you have a 5" or 4 9/16" pad, some say this, some say that.... its freakin crazy!
Can someone nail it down for me? Will axxis metal master pads fit my hf? what are the clearances in there... can I run the si rotor since its just a little bit bigger? direct swap between hf/si fronts?

Last edited:
all noobs welcome, sadly i dont know the answer to your noob question. i dont play with civics very often.

welcome aboard. :)

4th gens aren't my specialty either... sorry.

i don't know the answer to that off the top of my head

i would suggest going to autozone.com and comparing part numbers...
sorry

Back