New job...possible...not right away, but a plan...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Airjockie

Watanabe Whore!!!
Rest In Peace
So I'm on strike...big deal, I got Mob thugs trying to squeeze the company I work for to lower the health insurance costs...for the 3 year contract we were offerred a plan that I had to pay about $27 a week, and then up to $29 a week...and the current plan is $16 a week....for me thats just BS and I can afford that and the plan they offered, but since a lot of the older guys I work with, their wife and 3 kids, they would end up paying like $59 or $80 a week....and they would just have to tough it. This strike is so unfair for me, because it;s going on the 5th week...and in 5 weeks, I can get my normal paycheck and get gobs of OT, and all the other crap I should hav got...so I'm in the hole waiting for other people to come to their senses....damn it....

Anyways, since the my life is dependant fully on work I can get from the company....and at times like this..I can't do anything. Sure I have time to build the cars, do work to the house, catch up on things...well...I really can't do anything with out money, and I'm only limiting myself a small budget for projects....anyways...it sucks. So the wife asked me a question in a tone just like the other questions she has asked me n the past...the important questions...like..when will you marry me, when will you get a dayjob, when will you get an education...etc...etc...etc...and normally, when she askes in that tone...then my future normally takes a 180 drgree turn for the better...This time she asked me if I'm going to stay and work for other people....or if I would work for myself for a change.

Looking at my education, I'm limited to be just an airframe and powerplant mechanic...with gobs of years for experiance. All I need next for anything for opening my own shop....is money, a lot of it, and a few more licences...such as me getting an inspection authority lic, and a private pilot, and possibly my commercial pilots lic. Due to my DUI almost 7 years ago...I screwed up everything for getting the flight licences....so I've been stuck on the ground. Ohh well, look where I got to in the last 4 years...so anyway, If we get back to work, then I can go ahead and use the companies dollars and get my flight licences and also use their name for the FBO (Feild Base of Operations) and I can ga ahead and get my IA licence...and then keep working there till I can get some cash stashed away in investment and get my credit rating back to par.

So whats next?.....

One of my pipe dreams a long time ago was to open and own my own FBO. Have customers fly their planes into my shop, I do their annual inspection, tear apart their plane, find problems wrong with it, fix them to their discretion, and put it together, go test fly it, and hand them back the key and get the money they owe me. A simple annual inspection can be anywhere from $2000 to $150,000...and takes from 2 days to a few weeks. The last few places that I worked at, was making a killing and always expanding. One FBO decided to go all the way, and they had their own flight training school, commuter service, and more planes than you can count...but...I got to start small, so I'm going to go ahead and just plan on finding me a hanger somewhere, get the loans to get all the tools needed, get the computers and forms, insurance, posisbly get a project plane to build, and try to set up my dream shop.

Loans...I can get some, financed and crap, pull a second mortgage for my house, beg the wifes father...etc..not really a problem if I work everything out right, but the real problem is deciding if I do it local to me, or semi-local...ie..a 30 minute commute, or just save and when I find something somewhere....to jump on it with a full bank account, and that would prolly be out of state...like in FL, or GA, or even in NM or TX area. And the wife finally met her new freinds, so she is set to live in CT, until they move, or they might come with us...who knows...but the plan is for me to get the licences I need, stop messing with cars, get a plane, open a shop, and go into bussiness for myself. IF I can find a huge place, where I can have an office, rec room, the shop, parking, maybe set up a small dyno(for cars) and tune and fab stuff when the plane customers are not there, then hire a few kids to help do the inspections, pay them decent enough to keep them happy, and offer the use of the shop during their off-hours...I think it might work.

Tommorrow I'm going to drive around to the local airports and ask some questions, hell, I might get lucky and find a shop where the owner would just sell me and I take over the lease...in my dreams...but I have heard of that happening. I found this one, it sounds interesting, but I doubt I'll get anything ready to make a bid on it....so I got to wait for something else to pop up. http://www.barnstormers.com/listing.php?id...ad6458968e0f492 but if I can just push myself to get the licences this year, then that will be a start. Besides, I did make a promise to my wife, that if she gets her drivers licence, then I will get my private pilots licence...and she got hers, so now I got to get mine...a promise is a promise... :cool:

go check out johhny cake. its a nice little airport about 10 min north of auto x on rte4 in burlington.

Its not offered for sale, it is going to be turned into a mall soon...My uncle used to keep his plane their however the guy wanted out of the airport business so he could develop the land into retail shops.

Good luck Clayton. Man, you gotta try. Boeing and Douglas started small, so can you.

damn...sad to here more airports closing.

One of my classmates in college, bought out my old jobs flight school, and half of the airport, then he got loans and bought about another 10 planes, most of them new cessanas directly from the factory, and he opened up a decent flight school overnight. I know I suck as a manager, hell, even as an owner, but I can also take a few classes at a local college under the companies buck. Plus I bet the wife would prolly be the best manager for the job, but she's clueless on how things work in America. So I guess I might have to start the search for a decent partner.

But the real pipe dream was to buy a house, a hanger, a shop to work on my cars and planes, and all on an old airport, on a lot of land. Part of the hanger would be old car or plane restorations, another section would be set aside to accomindate 4-5 planes all having maintenace done at one time, from oil changes for about $300, to engine overhaul and rebuild, have a space for sheetmetal repair, and have a place to chill and sit back and relax. Maybe open the runway up for drag races a few nights a week, and have a place to tace some cars around a small track...it would be a multimillion dollar place, but it would be kicking. If there is a string of hangers, then I could lease them out and have a steady profit from that, and of coarse have a fuel station and advertise cheaper fuels to get a decent name made and to have possible customers come to check out the place and see the work we can do. after a few years, a parts department would need to be set up, and then the facility might start turning a buck from red to black...a lot of hard work, time and loans...but it is....just a dream.. :cry:

700k for a lease? you're crazy....

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Buy an old airport.......... and build a racetrack.
HELL YES I AM WIT HIM ON THAT ONE!!!!!!!!

there's a lot of legal crap involved in owning a track... mainly insurance.

Quoted post[/post]]
i know you can get that pilot license. :)

:cool:

Quoted post[/post]]

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Buy an old airport.......... and build a racetrack.
HELL YES I AM WIT HIM ON THAT ONE!!!!!!!!

there's a lot of legal crap involved in owning a track... mainly insurance.

Quoted post[/post]]
i know you can get that pilot license. :)

:cool:

um and you'll have to obey all noise ordinances (sp?) and zoning laws for the area which means you'll never conver t an airport into a race track.

um and you'll have to obey all noise ordinances (sp?) and zoning laws for the area which means you'll never conver t an airport into a race track.

it obviously couldn;t be a commercial race track, but i doubt the cars running on it will be louder than planes...

HUGE free tip for you my friend...
open an LLC or partnership or S corp, whatever form you choose... and make your wife a 51% shareholder
instant minority owned business that comes with the possibility for HUGE grants, low interest loans etc etc etc
woman owned businesses get the perks galore...

If you are going to set up a place out of state, doing it where people want to go for a short period. People who can afford planes can afford to take some vacation time. Just like you said, Florida or somewhere warm people would love it. Gives them more motivation for the maintenence.

yup...once I get back to work, then I can use their college assistance plan, and finish up my education. I always say that, but now I have seen the light, so now I got to at least try to do it. Granted, there will be no time for cars or house renovations while I"m cramming for classes, or flying around trying to get hours, so I doubt I'll bee seen very much this year. But first things first, get my IA, then get my private pilots licence, and then try to get the rest of my degree...

I stayed up almost all night last night looking up info for other jobs, other possibilities, and then talked to the wife till like 8:00 in the morning, and didn't get to sleep till about 9:00...and I wanted to wake up at 12 to get ready to go check some airports out, but I just woke up...and so did the wife, we might go to a book store and look up some other things. Tommorrow I have to take the dog to her muscle rehabilitation at 3:30 in Hamden, good place, and I think the wife might volunteer her time there. But we dumped $700 for the dog to get 10 sessions in a underwater treadmill, then dumped into a pool, and swam hard for about 15 minutes, and then she got a muscle massage. So another plan to get a small pool or hot tub at the house is now in motion. Damn, too much to do, all the time to do, and no money to da anything with...life sucks.

One of my friend's fathers was going to buy an airplane company but it fell through. He lives in Fl. He ended up talking with the town and they were going to give him the land and a tax break to move the plane company there to help bring buisness to the area. This guy started off as a helicopter mechanic, worked his way up in a few companies, was a vp at Pratt, then he decided to do consulting. He is doing extremely well consulting.
Look into consulting. Then trying talking to towns where you think an airport would benefit them, show them how, and they might work with you.

i should hopefully be getting my A in august or so (assuming i pass orals and practicals), and my P in next march.. they i'll be on the hunt for a job.. i really am considering a move out of state :ph34r: :wink:

Back