Newbie + B18C4 swap question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ProperRuggie

Hi people! Got a bit of a long setup question so hope you can help, and sorry if its on the forum somewhere already!

Right here goes: Took a chance on a 96 EK with a B18C4 conversion that wouldn't hit VTEC, had dimming lights and a non working speedo.
Have had a few Hondas so thought it was worth a go, and thought I knew a few fixes for the problems.
No speedo: faulty sensor? correct, replaced and now a working speedo and fixed VTEC!
Dimming lights: Alternator? Correct and solved the problem!

Now here's where the real question begins, Still got an engine light on, so jumped the connector and if I read the flashes right, I have fault codes 20 and 23 so electrical load detector and knock sensor.

Now am I right in thinking that as the fuse box probably wasn't changed with the swap, that code could cause the code 20? I don't have any of the symptoms associated with that code you see? Well not since I changed the alternator! lol

And finally, although I've yet to check for a knock sensor, would this engine have one as standard? And on looking at the ECU its a 73-013 which I thought was a ITR one? So would this be a cause of a few problems in itself, trying to run this engine with this ECU?

Sorry to go on but thought i'd give you as much info as I can or know at this time, so you can hopefully help!

Many thanks in advance.

welcome to the board :wave:

post location is perfect :thumbsup:

i can only help with half of your issue...

this is where your knock sensor might be located

ks.jpg

it might be a bit hard to get to with the intake manifold on there but it will be just up and left of the oil filter (if it has one)

not sure on the ELD code im gunna have to leave that to someone else

Cheers for the welcome and help.

After a bit of an investigation, I think the B18C4 never came with a knock sensor as standard. Anybody care to confirm? As i've not had chance to physically check.

Which then may kinda explain the ECU change as standard B18C4 ecu's had immobilisers. Which then leads on to the Integra one being fitted, as no immobiliser, but came off a car with a knock sensor. Right?

So if I've got this straight: B18C4 has no knock sensor, but 73 ECU is expecting one, hence the fault code.

Now question is can I retro fit one, and wire it into the ECU myself?

Or would it be easier and maybe cheaper to sell the ECU and buy one without the knock sensor?
Would rather keep the current ECU though as
A: it does at least run as is,
B: I kinda like the idea of having an Integra ECU, as stupid as that sounds! lol
And C: I can't imagine it being cheaper to replace the whole ECU than adding a knock sensor. But don't know of course!

Please help! just want to get my project properly going! In more than one sense! lol

Oh and I think this takes priority over the other fault code, but any ideas on one or both issues are very welcome!

Thanks!

did a little looking around and it doesnt look like the B18C4 came with a knock sensor
you can pick one up cheap though and most blocks do have the threaded hole to screw it in
as for the wiring im not sure on that... many 2nd gens were prewired for it so you might already have the wires in there
otherwise consult a Helms manual

alternately you could also just get a chipped ECU with a B18C4 map with the knock sensor bypassed

yeah cheers for confirming, as thats what I thought.

Gonna look tomorrow and hope I find two things: That firstly the block is threaded as can't seem to find that out without physically checking. And secondly that the loom already has the connector wired in! Would make it so much easier and cheaper! Not counting on that though as the old D series engine didn't run a sensor either.

Not really worried about running a sensor or not its just at the moment need to get it running properly the cheapest way so I can start on the fun bits!

Thanks for all your help though!

Back