Not your normal idle surging IT WONT GO AWAY!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

AlmostJDM

Hey guy/gals first of all i have a 1993 accord coupe which i just swapped in a dohc f20b SIR-T engine and in running it with a chipped P28 and uberdata 1.70.

Ok heres my problem ever since ive had this engine which has only been a month or so its always had a surgine idle itll surge between 1300-1500 at first i was using the stock 3 wire iacv that came with the engine and rewired it according to some instructions over at superhonda.com and it only worked once but it clicked like a mad man with a clicker pen and didnt throw any codes but had a solid CEL. So i shut the car off cause i thought i may have a bent pin in my chip and sure enough i did, I bent em strait and reinstalled the chip and fired her up and here comes the surging idl. I decide to call up a bud of mine and asked him if i could borrow one of his h23 plenums so i could use an obd1 iacv. So i went over and picked it up using my bros car cause i didnt want to drive 110 miles with mine anyways, so when i got back i installed it and right as i started it up it instantly had the surging idle so im thinking to my self the iacv is bad, So i decided to use the iacv off my old F22a1 engine, about 15 mine later i had it installed and started up the engine so i did so and it ran smooth....Yes finally fixed it or so i thought it stayd around 1200rpm for a few minutes,then slowly crept uo to 2kand once it hit 2k i herd a loud click from the iacv and the engine stalled, at this point im thinking this one is bad also so i orderd a new one and had to wait a few days for it to come in. When it did i installed it and started her up and again she idled normaly at around 1200 rpm and it slowly crept to 2k and once again i herd a loud click form the iacv but this time i didnt stalle out it dropped to around 200 or sp rpm for about a second then rose to 2k and repeated untill i revved it then it just started surging again.

A week later i went to my buds place and hooked up my Wideband O2 sensor and finally got to see how my cars been running and saw that at idle it is running ataround 35-38 a/f ratio WTF!!! i was running on an h22 base map but my engine has 290cc injectors instead of 340cc so we switched that and did a bit of tuning and got the car to run at around 14.5-14.8 a/f at part throttle and at around 13 at WOT and when i rev the car to 2500 at in neutral itll smoothen out at 800 rpm and run at 15-15.4 a/f untill i tap the gas then itll start surging again.

also it does throw the iacv code14 still and thats the only code it thorws and right now i have a piece of cardboard as a TB gasket till i get mine tomorrow form honda

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causeing this???

Last edited:
i had the same surging on my h22 swap using p13 , i adjusted the throttle position sensor no more than a mm and it sorted it right out

yeah it was throwing 14 IACV or EACV same thing , mines also throwing 20 ELD . any ideas ?

lol i think you may be right when i un screwd my TPs a bit so i could rotate it, it twisted a bit and now it idles lower and sometimes doesnt wana stay running so im guessing the signale from the TPS and iacv wer conflicting with each other telling the ecu 2 diferent things. So now im gonna go out and fiddle with it with a friend of mine, i also tested my iacv and it clicks when i hook it to the battery via 2 wires so i know its good thanks for the help ill kept ya up dated:D

i think another way to see if the idle valve works is to unplug it when the engines running , the revs should drop. i think that meens its working. thats what mine does anyway unless theres somthin wrong with mine lol ive started to get a code 14 aswell now

well when i unplug it it still surges up and down 50 rpm and the TPS was off so i set it at .45 but it didnt change anything but i dont have a fitv cause mine had a broken nipple so im looking for an obd1 h22 upper plenum and TB. i thought it was supposed to smoothin out when ya unplugged it too

thast one thing i was looking at but im gonna wait for my obd1 hh2 mani and TB to come in and ill check all the hoses altho i doubt its a vacuum leak cause its throwing the iacv code

check your main relay. supposedly they go out if temperatures fluctuate alot. as always, bleed the coolant. air makes the fitv surge. but the loud click, to me, sounds like you have an electrical problem somewhere. check your wires.

the main relay is good and if it wasnt my car wouldnt run so i know its not that and i am thinking the fitv might have somthing to do with it cause i dont have it hooked up and its the only thing i havent check cause i dont know how and the reason i dont have it hooked up is cause the nipple broke off so now im waiting for my h22 TB to come in so i can finally have a fitv:D and the loud click is comming from the iacv plus i doubt theres a way its the wiring cept to the iacv, those are the only 2 wires i cut and i wired em back to what they wer b4 unless with the p28 i gotta switch the 2 cause i just swapped over the entire harness form my f22a1.

wow, that blows. it's your fitv tho. 99% positive. you can try to put a corq in (i think) the bottom hole on the inside of your throttle body. that will block it off...and it will work, you'll have to turn up your idle screw a tad. make sure the corq wont get hit by the butterfly valve tho! lol. you wouldnt want corq in ur motor. idk now that i think , maybe corq isnt such a good choice material. well take off your intake and plug it w/ a finger and see if it idles right. plug it before starting the motor. g'luck

p.s. yes it's safe to do this, get a hayes manual...

yea im thinking its my fitv now too so i bought a full h22 TB that comes with the FITV

and yes i know its ok to do this but i wont be able to test it yet cause im using an h23 non vtec plenum ATM but i just got my h22 intake mani in the mail so im gonna be putting that on tomorrow i hope then ill hopfully be getting my TB on monday. Tomorrow if im lucky but i doubt it.

thanks for the help guys:D

woot i fixed my idle cept that it idles around 1300rpm but its smooth now and doesnt jerk when i take my foot off the gas and put it back on:D

Back